A Few Questions About Lighting - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

a few questions about lighting

i DID try to search for the answers because i feel these are common questions but i couldn't not find exactly what i was looking for.

I am installing under cabinet puck lights in my kitchen and have a few questions about the wiring. Besides being the proper gauge (ill have to check out the manual) does in wall low voltage wiring need to be a special type of wire? The area right under the kitchen is part of the unfinished side of the basement so I plan to run my lighting home run to a jbox attached to the rafters which will split into the overhead, under cabinet, and exterior light runs(did my load calc and my run is adequate). For the under cabinet, they need a xformer so I was planning on mounting that next to the jbox attached to the rafters under the kitchen (accessible). I then need to run 3x runs of the low voltage wiring to the necessary spots in the kitchen. Can these low voltage runs go along side romex and through holes along with romex? Do they need separate holes and spaced APART from high voltage items? Stapling necessary? I have read its good practice to split FG insulation where it meets wiring so you do not loose a lot of R-value. Can these low voltage lines be ran on top of the insulation? (Between kraft paper and drywall)

Advertisement

langless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

a few questions about lighting

so i have read that since it is in wall, i need a CL2 rated type of wire. dayton sells 12/2 and 14/2 CL2 speaker wire so i can use that and be ok?

Advertisement

langless28 is offline   Reply With Quote