Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2010, 01:11 AM   #1

Share |

a few questions about electrical upgrades

from the get-go - I'm looking for advice as I ponder possible upgrades, I'll be taking a test to get certified in my county to do home wiring (montgomery county, MD) but until then I'm looking for feedback from more experienced people, so please don't jump on me about how I shouldn't be thinking about doing something. I'd rather ask a stupid question then make a stupid mistake.

1) I have 50 year old wiring in the house (it's 2 pair, no ground, armored cable) the wiring seems fine, it's still insulated and the insulation hasn't gotten brittle yet, but the lack of a ground is worrying. I've grounded it for now through the armor, but I know that it isn't a good solution. So, I'll be tearing out the basement walls soon and I was wondering if fishing wire up to each box from the basement and then back down is a good or bad solution? does it matter that I'll be adding the extra feet to the runs?

Also, what are the rules for securing new wire runs when I run new wire behind finished walls? And related, would it be better to try and go through the holes in the vertical 2x4's that exists for the armored cable?

picture of what I'm thinking of doing....

2) while I have the walls down in the basement, would it be within code to run conduits for future power line pulls? can you pull a new line through conduit such as PVC pipes running across a basement? are there special rules for this?

3) I have an upstairs, it's half finished, half not. I had a sub-panel installed in the not half to make power additions a bit easier for a good part of the house. With this said, the placement might need to be altered later since I might decide to finish the second half and want to place the subpanel elsewhere depending on how the walls end up/what rooms expand. Given this, I'd like to leave loops in any runs off the sub-panel so if I move it I have some slack to work with and therefore don't need to worry about putting in a huge junction box if I needed to extend some of those runs. Is there a way to do this within code? I know runs in unfinished parts are definitely supposed to be secured, but is there a trick to accomplishing what I want?

Thank you for the help

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Montgomery county makes you take a test before issuing a homeowner's permit?

Most type A/C cable is already "grounded" through the armor. It was common practice to install that back in the 1960's as rodents can't chew through it. There are a lot of structures in the DC area so wired. As long as the connectors are the proper type and installed correctly. What did you do to "ground" it?

You can leave some extra slack in your cables in an unfinished area for future relocation. Just be sure to strap your cables at least every 4Ĺ feet.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #3

if I want to get the installation inspected as if I did the work, then yea, there is some test to take. I could pull my own permit and just try to do the work and hope they don't ask questions, but just to make life easier and be on the up 'n up I'm gunna take the test.

I currently just grounded the outlets to the box which is grounded via the armor. It works but I'm told it's not the best.

and so do I need to strap every 4.5 feet if I'm not opening the wall? (aka am I forced to open the wall if I just were to want to just snake it through box to box?)

Thanks
Old 09-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #4

It's impossible to strap any wire in a wall if you are not opening it up, they cant see thru walls and its allowed by code 320.10(4)
jddavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Correct. No straps required on wires that have been "fished" behind finished walls.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
I'd rather ask a stupid question then make a stupid mistake.
My thoughts exactly. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

DM
Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 PM   #7

any ideas about the PVC as a conduit, is it allowed?
Old 09-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
the Musigician

I sincerely doubt it!

DM
Old 09-27-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
any ideas about the PVC as a conduit, is it allowed?
If grey conduit yeah they should be allowed unless the local code stated something else but NEVER white conduit pipe at all that is plumming stuff.

Merci.
Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #10

regarding the lack of ground....pretty sure you can use GFCI outlets, which do the same thing.

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarch...d~19991230.php

this might cost a little more per outlet, but you should make that up in time saved. just make sure you label those GFCI's correctly.

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote