Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Feeding Sub-panel from fuse box

I recently wired my shop and the only hangup I'm having is hooking it up to the main fuse box in the house. The main panel is a 200a old style fuse box that was put in when the house was built in 1972. All of the wiring to/in my shop is in conduit and I installed a 125a main lug breaker box with 6 gauge wire (4wire- red,black,white,and ground). The main panel has 2 pull out blocks which are both being used. One for the stove, and one for the Hot water Heater. I have lots spots for screw in fuses that aren't being used. My question is.....Can I use 2 of the screw fuses to run my subpanel? If I'm not mistaken, one is 110v and if you use both (on different phases) then it's 220v. The biggest thing I am going to plug in (in the shop) is my air compressor that has a rating of 14 amps on it. And I'm only running 110 outlets, and 4 shop lights.........there is no 220 in my shop

My next question is that if I can't go that route, can I install another pull block in the main panel (that's if I can find one)?

All help is appreciated.........

Last edited by bprewett; 05-27-2013 at 08:50 AM.
bprewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Electrical Enthusiast

Yes, 2 of the screw-in fuses will give you 240V, you just have to make sure you select the correct two do you have a picture of this old fuse box? We pulled a 200 amp fuse box out of a relatives house, and it was something to see.

Anyway, how far is the cable run from the house to the panel? The only issue you may have is you will only get 30 amps out of the screw-in fuses; if you happened to start running some big equipment you could end up having to replace a blown fuse.

Also, keep in mind that #6 wire will not fit under the terminal for the screw in fuses, you would likely have to splice it to some #10.

As for how all of this sits code-wise, I don't know. One of the electricians on here may elaborate more.

Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #3

The sub panel is about 20 feet from the main panel but by the time it goes up the wall and over to the panel its about 40 feet.
bprewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Electrical Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprewett
The sub panel is about 20 feet from the main panel but by the time it goes up the wall and over to the panel its about 40 feet.
Oh, alright. I was thinking about voltage drop, but that wouldn't be an issue in this case.
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse box, sub-panel