Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #1

Share |

Feeding my new subpanel

Hey everyone......So i'm fairly well versed in residential electrical basics.......but got a quick question on feeding my new subpanel. I've put a new subpanel in to service my basement shop, new half bath, and the new powervent water heater. I'm ok with everything needed to wire down stream of the panel, but what do I need to use to feed my subpanel. Its going to be a 60 amp breaker feeding it, and its about 15 feet away from the main panel. Do I need conduit and separate #6 wire with a #12 ground? Or will 6-3 NM-B be alright? If so, can I just staple it to the bottom of the joists or does it need to be run through the joists?

Thanks in advance!

ryan50hrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Feeding my new subpanel

I believe, and hopefully a more residential orientated member will correct me that you can run the Nm on the bottom of the joists but it has to have a strip of wood mounted on either side. Conduit will work well too. If the sub and main panel are on the same wall just run across your wall with the conduit. Remember to make sure your ground and neutral aren't bonded at the subpanel.

I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #3

Feeding my new subpanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
I believe, and hopefully a more residential orientated member will correct me that you can run the Nm on the bottom of the joists but it has to have a strip of wood mounted on either side. Conduit will work well too. If the sub and main panel are on the same wall just run across your wall with the conduit. Remember to make sure your ground and neutral aren't bonded at the subpanel.
2 things keeping me from running it in conduit.....1, I don't have a bender ....2, I was under the understanding (maybe inncorrectly) that I couldn't run Nm though conduit....

And the subpanel isn't on the same wall, its down the wall, and then around the corner on my new shop wall.

Bars already installed, and not bonded.....thanks though...
Old 07-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Feeding my new subpanel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan50hrl View Post
2 things keeping me from running it in conduit.....1, I don't have a bender ....2, I was under the understanding (maybe inncorrectly) that I couldn't run Nm though conduit....

And the subpanel isn't on the same wall, its down the wall, and then around the corner on my new shop wall.

Bars already installed, and not bonded.....thanks though...
any chance you can run it down through the walls studs?
you can run nm in conduit as long as you follow fill rules so you'll prbably need a pretty big pipe to pull 6/3 nm in. any reason you don't want to drill the joists?
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #5

Feeding my new subpanel

Basement walls aren't studded everywhere, like the first 10 feet of where it needs to go.......so wall studs aren't an option. I hate drilling joists......the holes never are straight, and half my house has the joists 12 inch on center which is a tight fit for drill and bit....plus its alot of holes to drill.....any idea what size conduit i'd need if I went that route?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Feeding my new subpanel

You can run it along the bottom.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #7

Feeding my new subpanel

Do I need strips along it on either side?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Feeding my new subpanel

Quote:
Do I need strips along it on either side?

IIRC useally not but it will be wise idea to do it anyway in case someone else will have a funny idea try to hang something on 6-3NM

Note: there are some local codes may required that so just be aware on that part. ( I useally do it all the time )

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #9

Feeding my new subpanel

I plan on putting a drop ceiling up, so hanging stuff on it will not be an option anyhow......so 6/3 NM stapled to the bottom of the joists.....perfect!!! You guys made my night!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Feeding my new subpanel

Quote:
Basement walls aren't studded everywhere, like the first 10 feet of where it needs to go.......so wall studs aren't an option. I hate drilling joists......the holes never are straight, and half my house has the joists 12 inch on center which is a tight fit for drill and bit....plus its alot of holes to drill.....any idea what size conduit i'd need if I went that route?
I will give you a tip what I done all the time in a tight spot is use the right angle drill and short auger or spade bit and I have work on some joints are tight as 20 cm (8 inch ) on centre and I did ran it pretty straight with it.

But just be aware that if you have 2x8 it can get tricky but 2x10 or larger useally not a issue to drill it in the centre.

Merci,
Marc
Old 07-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #11
Master Electrician

Feeding my new subpanel

Ya with the drop ceiling I doubt you'll need it. I thought you were leaving it exposed.