Feeding Multiple Seperate Lighting Switches, Avoiding Box Fill Issues - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Feeding multiple seperate lighting switches, avoiding box fill issues

So I'm redoing our entire house's electrical from the 60's, and I'm running 12-2 in the house, for lighting too (I know it's overkill, but it's already purchased and ran). My problem is that the boxes are a 20.5 cu in, and I have to start a feed for this circuit on a 3-way switch, and then feed another switched lighting load. Basically I have a 12-2 for feeding from the breaker, a 12-3 for travelers wires, and then a 12-2 for the can lights. Add a switch and that puts me at a full box, I don't have any more room in the box to splice an unswitched feed to the next switched light.

My question is, I know any junction boxes have to be accessible at all times, but short of starting from a non 3-way switch, is there any tricks for feeding multiple switched lights from a single circuit? I seem to be running out of room in the boxes an awful lot, and this may just be my poor planning as I have done plenty of electrical work before, but never layed out an entire house plan.

Advertisement

Ocelaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,552

4x4 box with a mud ring.

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #3

Thanks that's a good idea. I was using plastic old work boxes because it's Romex, but I guess I could use a metal box. Can I find mud rings that are 1 size less than any box? I found 3 and 4 gang metal boxes, but having trouble finding a 3 gang mud ring for a 4 gang metal box. i.e. this is a 3 switch receptacle, and I need a bit more space for passing my feed through.

I guess I just hesitated using metal with Romex, just because I've always used metal with BX, and plastic with Romex, but it seems there's a lot more options with metal. But I know I'm putting metal boxes in for my ceiling fan.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #4

as long as you use the right clamp; romex is fine in metal boxes. you can use a 4" box with a single gang flat mud ring, i had to do the exact same thing to prevent overfill issues.
langless28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #5

Thanks. I think that's the way to go, especially for larger boxes, after reading some other threads, anything > 1 gang doesn't seem to be very stable. Since I have to cut a ton of drywall/plaster out for the new 2-3 gang switches, might as well put metal and frame it out properly.

It looks like home depot doesn't stock the 4 to 3 metal box gang plates, but Raco makes them, so I'll probably just have to go to a supply house for that.

http://www.hubbell-raco.com/images/c...fs/A49-A60.pdf