Feeding 200 Amp And 100 Amp Main Panels From Meter Pan - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Feeding 200 amp and 100 amp main panels from meter pan

Is it code to feed a 100 amp main panel located in a metal bldg that will have a bathroom, window AC, and 220 water well and also feed a 200 amp main panel ,in a future house, from the same 200 amp meter pan? Also, the water well is located between the meter and the bldg. Can I feed the 100 amp service thru at the water well, no joints, and run some #12 thhn in the same underground conduit on to the metal shed ?

Advertisement

kmyers57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

[quote=kmyers57;928955]Is it code to feed a 100 amp main panel located in a metal bldg that will have a bathroom, window AC, and 220 water well and also feed a 200 amp main panel ,in a future house, from the same 200 amp meter pan?

Yes. This can be done by using the service to feed both panels or to use one panel as a main and the other as a sub panel.
So. Do you want to feed both panels with the service conductors. Or do you want one panel to be the main service and one panel to be a sub panel?
The location of the service conductors (where the utility is located) is a good way to help you make this decision.
Secondly the location of structures in regards to the service.

Also, the water well is located between the meter and the bldg. Can I feed the 100 amp service thru at the water well, no joints, and run some #12 thhn in the same underground conduit on to the metal shed ?

Use either panel to service the well. I am not sure what you are asking here. But the well can be fed from either panel. This is separate from the service or feeders supplying the panels.

Advertisement

Last edited by J. V.; 05-26-2012 at 11:36 AM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

I would disagree. If the meter pan is rated for 200A you would need a specific load calculation to allow a 200A and 100A panel to be run from it.

If he is doing a 200A main and 100A sub, I would agree that it would be fine.

As far as the other question, if I am interpreting the question correctly, you cannot run branch circuits in the same pipe as the conductors supplying a main panel. Basically, if the conduit you are referring to runs between the meter and a panel you cannot run anything other than the feeders in that conduit.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_buz For This Useful Post:
andrew79 (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

I think he wants to run both sets of feeders out of the meter. You can do that but you need a special meter designed for a double feed and i believe it would also have to have a 200A breaker at the meter to prevent overloading the interior fuses(if it's a 200A meter). It's always easier to go to one structure first and then go to the second as a subpanel.

I think you may want to hire a professional, this is one of those jobs that only the most well versed DIYr's should do. Not knocking your capabilities it's just that you may do all the work, it not pass inspection and ending up spending more money to do it twice than you would have to hire a qualified person.
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
I think he wants to run both sets of feeders out of the meter. You can do that but you need a special meter designed for a double feed and i believe it would also have to have a 200A breaker at the meter to prevent overloading the interior fuses(if it's a 200A meter). It's always easier to go to one structure first and then go to the second as a subpanel.
You don't need a 200 amp breaker at the meter to leave it twice, the beauty of this setup is that both sets of wires are service entrance conductors, so only three wires are required... i don't find it easier at all to go to one structure first then the second structure as a sub panel, what if both structures are in opposite directions and the meter is installed in the middle?
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

so in essence what your doing is running 300A worth of services off a 200A meter base, what happens when you overdraw it? I do know that your not allowed to put two sets of wires under the same lug in a meter( or anywhere for that matter) unless the lug is approved for that use. You would need something like this to do it.
http://www.duke-energy.com/pdfs/Para...Meter_Base.pdf
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
so in essence what your doing is running 300A worth of services off a 200A meter base, what happens when you overdraw it? I do know that your not allowed to put two sets of wires under the same lug in a meter( or anywhere for that matter) unless the lug is approved for that use. You would need something like this to do it.
http://www.duke-energy.com/pdfs/Para...Meter_Base.pdf
Who says the load is 300 amps? if the calculated load is under 200 amps, I'm good. Also, I could always just install a jbox under the meter and make my tap in there.

This is allowed under 230.40 Exception no. 3 of the NEC...

Last edited by stickboy1375; 05-26-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #8

The meter pan I have doesn't have dual lugs. So what kind of Jbox could I use? Is this something HD or Lowes would carry or would I need to go to an electric supply house? The total amp draw for the 100 amp service would only be around 50-60 amps. The 200 amp service would be for a future house. I planned on having a 100 amp Main panel at the Metal bldg and then when the house is built have a 200 amp Main Panel in it. Any other suggestions?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Kmeyers,

Some DIY folks on this form are very knowledgeable and helpful (I like to think I aspire to this)

However, 1 have 2 general rules:
1. Few DIY should even consider work on the line side of a panel. I rewired my entire house (100%) and would never go near the line side of my panel. even if allowed (we arent in St. louis) I would hire a pro for that work
2. When the senior electricians on this site (Kbuz, Andrew, Frenchelectrican, Speedy, Jim Port, Brric, etc) say something, you better think twice before ignoring their advice

Last edited by kevinp22; 05-26-2012 at 09:58 PM.
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
E2 Electrician

Im an avid DIY guy, I'm also an Electrician, so who am I to judge someones skill level?
Old 05-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Stick,

sorry if my post offended. not my intent.

with respect to skill level, sometimes its obvious from the questions people ask. other times people ask.

I dont like it when any of us appear condescending but i would prefer that to an injured person, failing inspection, property damage etc.
kevinp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp22 View Post
Stick,

sorry if my post offended. not my intent.

with respect to skill level, sometimes its obvious from the questions people ask. other times people ask.

I dont like it when any of us appear condescending but i would prefer that to an injured person, failing inspection, property damage etc.
No offense taken, I know exactly where you are coming from... I just like to point out were all DIY type people. This task the OP is questioning is more offbeat than norm, but not impossible either.... IMO, probably easier to hire someone.

Last edited by stickboy1375; 05-26-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #13

J.V. - I'll have to see if I can exchange the single lug panel for a dual lug. That way I can have seperate feeds, one to the 100 amp Main and when the house is built one feed to it.
K Buz - I'll run a seperate conduit to the well pump.
thanks for the help

Advertisement