DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   Feed to tractor storage (

Russell 08-22-2012 07:12 PM

Feed to tractor storage
Brother-in-law wants me to help him figure out what wiring to run to his new tractor storage. Right now he has a 200 amp feed and panel to his workshop and he wants to run power to tractor storage for a few plug-ins, lights and probably a 50 amp circut for a 220volt welder to do repairs. The new storage will be 145 feet away from existing panel and he wants to run underground in conduit.

Sorry hit the wrong key.

What cable do we need to run and what amp breaker do we need to use for a feed? Know will be running 4 wires but need to know size and feed breaker amperage recommended.

andrew79 08-22-2012 07:47 PM

he'll need a subpanel. sounds like a 100A one, should be good with a number three feeder assuming draw with welder running will be around 70a.

Russell 08-22-2012 07:56 PM

Thanks, planned on adding a subpanel in new tractor storage. Was needing to know what size breaker to put in workshop panel to feed the subpanel and what size wire (and type ) to run to the new shop.


k_buz 08-22-2012 08:03 PM

1 1/2 PVC

3 #3's CU, 1 #8 CU (ground)

2 Pole 90A breaker

2 ground rods (Bond to water also, if present)

Remove neutral/ground bonding jumper in panel

Russell 08-22-2012 08:13 PM

Thank you very much !!!!!!!! Extremely helpful!! The 2 ground rods go where? Both at new storage connected to ground at the panel?

Thanks again!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

Russell 08-22-2012 08:48 PM

Can cu 3-3-3-5 Ser be used underground in conduit?

Jim Port 08-22-2012 09:12 PM

SER cannot be used underground.

andrew79 08-22-2012 09:27 PM


Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 994375)
SER cannot be used underground.

i thought i remembered that but i didn't want to look like an idiot asking :thumbup:

kevinp22 08-22-2012 09:50 PM

[quote=Russell;994312]The 2 ground rods go where? Both at new storage connected to ground at the panel?


Drive 2 ground rods at/near the subpanel at the tractor storage building (you can get away with 1 if resitance is 25 ohms or less but most people just drive 2). rods must be at least 6 feet apart

Use #6 copper (or larger) wire to connect the rods to the panel. you can use #8 but it has to be protected above ground (easier to use #6 in my opinion) Connect the wire to the ground bus of the subpanel (as mentioned, the neutral needs to be isolated from ground. the #8 ground wire going back to the workshop also gets connected to this bus). wire can be solid or stranded and is usually bare.

Rods must be at least 8 feet long and 5/8 in diameter (listed rods can be 1/2). Connect the copper wire with ground rod clamps approved for direct burial. Wire must be continuous from panel to first rod. Its easier and better (in my opinion) if the wire is continuous to both rods.

I use a sledgehammer to drive my many rods but pros often use a rotary hammer.

Russell 08-23-2012 10:01 AM

Thanks to all for the great answers!!!!

Have a great day:thumbup::thumbup:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1