Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

Share |

Federal Pacific Breaker box recalled?

So I'm getting ready to run 10/3 wire from my breaker box in the back of my house, through the attic, to the front of the house, and out to my garage for an air compressor.

Problem is that once i entered my breaker box, i noticed that it looks really old, and when i went to home depot i couldnt locate any breakers that appeared to fit.

Finally, when i went online, i found a bunch of information about federal pacific breakers being defective and a major fire hazard.

Can anybody take a look at these pictures and let me know whether i need to have this box removed and if not, where i can find a two pole breaker for it.

hkusp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
Cruising into the sunset

I've run into a number of Federal Pacific panels and have, when needed, been able to buy their breakers locally. I have never run into any situations where the breakers failed as claimed on Internet sites but I do remember there being some talk their breakers aren't the best because they broke down easily.

The CPSC did a study on FP breakers and...

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Consumer Product Safety Commission announced today that it is closing its two year investigation into Federal Pacific Electric Stab-lok type residential circuit breakers. This action was taken because the data currently available to the Commission does not establish that the circuit breakers pose a serious risk of injury to consumers.
LINK

I did a Google shopping search and was able to find the breakers online. Most were used, some were refurbished and a few were new.

Read the report. If you're happy with the CPSC's conclusion, you can get the breakers online. If it were me, I'd replace the panel since it looks like FP is no longer making the breakers. And the fact that they aren't makes me wonder why.
JulieMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #3

ok, so they're not going to kill me or burn my house down, but its a ****ty box and not worth investing money on with any new breakers right?

This house is turning out to be one new pain in the ass after another....
Old 07-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #4

I don't think it's worth putting the money into an FPE box. First you've got all the hubub that you found online. Second, FPE went under after the UL listing was revoked on its stab-lock breakers. Thus you'll never actually see a recall. Finally, replacement breakers for an FPE box cost an arm and a leg. HD, Lowes, & Orchard Supply around here all carry breakers that fit FPE. But you're looking in the $50+ range per breaker. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1

Is this breaker panel a sub panel, or your main panel?
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_lost_shadow View Post
I don't think it's worth putting the money into an FPE box. First you've got all the hubub that you found online. Second, FPE went under after the UL listing was revoked on its stab-lock breakers. Thus you'll never actually see a recall. Finally, replacement breakers for an FPE box cost an arm and a leg. HD, Lowes, & Orchard Supply around here all carry breakers that fit FPE. But you're looking in the $50+ range per breaker. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1

Is this breaker panel a sub panel, or your main panel?
Its my main and only panel..
Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

I'd replace that monstrosity.

J-U-N-K!

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

No, there has never been a recall.
Yes, I would replace it as soon as funds allow.
Yes, breakers are readily available. My supply house stocks all varieties.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #8

They turn off backwards.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #9

I'm in the same boat you are. I hope to replace mine with a 200 amp square d or similar
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote