Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #1

Share |

Fastening Structured Network Cable

Hi,

I am instlaling a structured network cable that has multiple cables bundled together. This cable is for audio, video and data. It is about 1" in diamater. I am trying to figure out the best way to fasten it. The direcitons say not to tack it tight with tacks. Some places I am going to have 5 cables running parallel to each other. Can I just put them all next to each other and run plastic strapping over them and nail it on each side. Is this an acceptable method? Is there any code requirements for fastening this type of cable?

Thanks
Instantlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #2

There are nylon wire ties available with holes in the grip side to insert a nail or screw...that will work just fine.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #3

Plastic cable clamps are what I use. They come in various diameters, including 1".

That is provided you want to keep them flat against a surface. I do not believe there is any code that would prevent you from bundling them togther however you please.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #4

you can use plastic plumbers tape, cut to what ever size you need.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
Plastic cable clamps are what I use. They come in various diameters, including 1".

That is provided you want to keep them flat against a surface. I do not believe there is any code that would prevent you from bundling them togther however you please.
The clamps are a great idea...probably much neater than ties.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Most common method of keeping the bundle tight is to wrap with a couple of turns of electrical tape, or use zip ties. As for securing along joists, you treat it like any other type of wiring. You never want it just hanging there, to cause someone to walk into it, nor do you want it to be able to be used to hang stuff on. Now of course on the last, if the joist bay is open in the basement, and you run the wires through holes in the joists, there is really nothing up there to stop people from using it to hang stuff from anyways.

I personally try to keep my audio, video, network wiring separate, since it not only makes it easier, but neater. Now of course, if everything is running the same path, and going to have a/v & network at a jack, Octopus cable is a whole lot cleaner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote