Fan Wireing - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Fan Wireing

A friend gave me a squrrelcage fan assembly that was removed from his central HAVC. He said the fan was good and maybe I could use it as a fan in my shop.
The motor has two capaciters and there are three different color wires. The diagram states each wire as High--Medium--or Low. These are the only wires.
The fan is 110v and I would like to know if I can hook the motor up to a standard light switch or do I need a relay?
Also, is the ground just connected to the housing?

Advertisement

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

Fan Wireing

This is a sort of generic question that cannot be answered without more info. I buy these type fans from a local HVAC repair center when they remove units from homes. Usually when the HVAC unit wears out, the fan still works, and I buy them for various cooling uses. There should be a wiring diagram on the fan housing, that's not to say it's gone missing by now though. This will tell you which color of wire is the LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH setting wiring. I believe that all of mine had a white wire for ground and a place for an "earth" ground to be attached, the green wire. IF there is NO label/tag on this fan, I would have no idea of which wire is which without knowing the colors of your wiring.

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #3

Fan Wireing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
This is a sort of generic question that cannot be answered without more info. I buy these type fans from a local HVAC repair center when they remove units from homes. Usually when the HVAC unit wears out, the fan still works, and I buy them for various cooling uses. There should be a wiring diagram on the fan housing, that's not to say it's gone missing by now though. This will tell you which color of wire is the LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH setting wiring. I believe that all of mine had a white wire for ground and a place for an "earth" ground to be attached, the green wire. IF there is NO label/tag on this fan, I would have no idea of which wire is which without knowing the colors of your wiring.
There is a "connection diagram" on the blower housing.
There are only 3 wires from motor-- Yellow--Red--Black.
The diagram states ---
Black--- High
Blue----Medium
Red---Low
There is no Blue and here is no mention of Yellow except that it is shown coming from motor to "terminal block" and is referred to as "common"
It is my understanding that common is only used in three and four way switches.
Therefore I am guessing it is neutral. But I don't like to GUESS when working with any electrical device.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:05 PM   #4

Fan Wireing

Do you want to use the different speeds or just one? A regular light switch is fine if you only want one speed.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #5

Fan Wireing

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminaquagmire View Post
Do you want to use the different speeds or just one? A regular light switch is fine if you only want one speed.
I would like to use a main switch in conjunction with a single pole double throw switch, using High and Low speeds.
But where is the Neutral??
Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #6

Fan Wireing

Update---The motor has been changed--It is a TWO speed. Motor diagram stated Red-- Low Black--High and Yellow-- COMMON
Does this mean Yellow is NEUTRAL??
Old 02-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

Fan Wireing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Update---The motor has been changed--It is a TWO speed. Motor diagram stated Red-- Low Black--High and Yellow-- COMMON
Does this mean Yellow is NEUTRAL??
It means it is common to either the black or red lead, so yes, it would be connected to grounded conductor which is usually referred to as the neutral.

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to a7ecorsair For This Useful Post:
Giles (02-23-2011)