Fan/Light Switch - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-20-2010, 05:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Fan/Light switch

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and pretty much useless when it comes to home repair. I am, however, installing a new single pole switch to control a fan/light. I've done this before in a previous house and had it working swimmingly well. However, there seems to be more wires than I remember from doing this before and I dont want to make a mistake.

its a lutron controller with a fan and light switch separate. it has green, black, red and yellow wires. the red is supposed to control the light, yellow the fan. The problem is the wiring doesnt identify itself in anyway.

here is what i did and what happens:
- green wire is connected to the ground
- red to red
- black from the control is connected to 2 black wires from the bottom of the box that were previously taped together [so 3 black wires together]
- yellow is connected to a different black wire coming from the top of the box.

this obviously isn't right since the light switch [not the fan switch] is now controlling both the light and the fan. it seems the 2 black wires from the bottom of the box could control the light and the fan, i dont know which. also, the instructions say black should connect to black, however the red wire on the control is for the light. im stumped.

any ideas? and remember, I'm a novice.
thanks

Advertisement

ibweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fan/Light switch

Sounds like the connections at the fan need to be evaluated and corrected.

You will have to remove the canopy cover at the fan, and see how the wires are connected there. Chances are, both the fan and light are connected together on the red wire, and nothing is on the black wire.

Advertisement

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Fan/Light switch

I think, too, that you may need to invest in a volt/ohm meter, if you haven't already. I think you are going to have to identify which wires have voltages.

Out of curiousity, what kind of switch was there before, and do you recall how it was wired? Are there any white wires in your box?

My best guess is that the black wire from the top of the box is your supply, and the two black wires taped together supply the fan, and the light. I am a little puzzled by the red wire. But....this is just a guess. Check things out, as Kbsparky says.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,498

Fan/Light switch

Did you have two switches controling the fan previously? Sounds like the fan and light were both contralled by the same switch. Describe the previous setup.