Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Share |

Extra wire in conduit body allowable?

50' spool for a 40' run, I pulled my wire into the building on each end, made my splices, forgot to pull the excess through and cut it off... This is 14 ga. THWN and it is tucked into a 2" conduit body, the splices are in 8x8 junction boxes.

Inspection tommorrow afternoon, too tired to go on, I take our kindergartener to school in the morning and have to entertain the 4 year old girl, so I won't have much chance to work.

I know splices aren't supposed to be in conduit bodies, but the body is so much bigger than these wires... Is there any code issue? I feel like I'd clean it up if I had more time and energy, but I am at the point I'm not staying awake typing full sentences.

Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Electrician

I guess I don’t understand the question. You made the splice in the 8by j-box, but put the extra, unspliced in the LB? Or is the splice in the LB?

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Electrician

A conduit body that is durably and legibly marked by the manufacturer with its volume is allowed to contain splices, with box fill allowances per 314.16 (B) followed, if that’s your question. 314.16 (C)(2)

Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Sounds like there is just extra conductor in the fitting.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Electrician

That's what I thought too, but wasn't sure.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
50' spool for a 40' run,
Also wasn't sure if he means a few inches or 10 feet.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
I ask the impossible!

I did fall asleep in my chair, since I got so many responses so quick and I have a second wind for now I went out and got a picture.

I just felt like this was something I'd have rather cleaned up, but I'm just too tired and if I had the time and energy before inspection to do any work, there's higher priorities.
Attached Thumbnails
Extra wire in conduit body allowable?-extra-wire-2-.-lb.jpg  
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillK View Post
I did fall asleep in my chair, since I got so many responses so quick and I have a second wind for now I went out and got a picture.

I just felt like this was something I'd have rather cleaned up, but I'm just too tired and if I had the time and energy before inspection to do any work, there's higher priorities.
I'm gonna try and find the definitive answer, but I've no idea why a splice in the LB would be a violation. Wish I knew the Code Chapters better.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:45 PM   #9

As Kyle stated, the LB has to have the Fill information stamped on it.

Quote:

314.16(C)(2) With Splices, Taps, or Devices.
Only those conduit bodies that are durably and legibly marked by the manufacturer with their volume shall be permitted to contain splices, taps, or devices. The maximum number of conductors shall be calculated in accordance with 314.16(B). Conduit bodies shall be supported in a rigid and secure manner.

sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #10

The OP had this wire left over in the LB as he did not pull the slack out before he made up each end, Right? If you can disconnect one end and pull the slack out great if not that's okay too. It's fine. I doubt you are anywhere close to over fill.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #11
I ask the impossible!

Thanks, glad to know it's okay... This was mostly a matter of running out of time. Now that I've moved back the inspection to Weds, I'm sure I'll just take out the excess.

For anyone else following the saga, I got to the building office while the electrical inspector was in back talking with the chief building official (same guy I came to talk to) and I overheard him saying I had admitted I wasn't qualified to do this work and so forth (which is not true). I simply explained that I have no problem doing whatever the inspector requires whether it's in code or not, the building chief said they can't require anything beyond code. I walked him through all the complaints and how he could've pointed all of them out at the first inspection but did not, and how some of them were invalid - such as the ground rods he didn't even look at and the NM cable staples that code doesn't require, and which would have to be stapled sideways which is a code violation.

So he's granted me 1 more rough inspection without a reinspect fee, which is what I was after.