Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #1

Share |

External Lighting Goes South...

Greetings All, New Poster.

Got a problem with an exterior light fixture that the window repair guys knocked off the wall. Found a replacement, did exactly as was stated in the instructions and now nothing works outside or in.

Including most of the living room electronics (No TV, Lights etc.).

The breaker is 'loose' insofar as the switch will not roll back to active and stay locked but there are no GFIs internal to test the circuit and the new light fixture is now back off the wall with it's switch off.

The instructions mention 'grounded black' as a possible wiring issue but the wire coming out of the house hasn't been peeled or dinged, only the fixture end was stripped to wrap with.

Running out of ideas (not even holding the breaker in will restore power).

Do I have to assume the breaker is gone or do I start with a circuit tester at the light electrical box and work from the outside wires backwards?

Thank You- CharHac

ch1466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Licensed Pro

Try turning the breaker completely off and then on.

HouseHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #3

Greetings House Helper,

I actually had the circuit off at the main panel when I was working with the wires. It was when I tried to flip it back on that everything died.

The fixture, the inside lights, nothing at all came back.

Do you perchance mean the main breakers? I hesitated doing this because of all the electronic clocks that would need resetting but if you think it's necessary...

Thank You, CharHac
Old 06-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #4

No Help.

Thanks Anyway.

CharHac
Old 06-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Diesel Fitter

have you tried pulling the fixture and capping the wires and then trying the breaker?
mikemy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #6

Think about this. Everything worked fine until the workers knocked the light loose. If that is correct, I would be looking in that box where the light was attached to. It is most likely wired wrong at the light. Check inside the box and make sure all wires are connected and not touching the box. I would bet my lunch that it is outside where the light was knocked off.

Was this light on a switch, Motion Detector, or photocell????? Either one of the last two could be broken also.

Never try to force a breaker to the on position......Then you will need a burn doctor instead of an electrician
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Master Electrician

Check the light CAREFULLY. Look closely for bare copper, or even nicks in the insulation, of the black (hot) wire. You may have even pinched it when you screwed the light up.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Yea, the breaker wont reset because you have a short somewhere. John has it correct ^^^
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #9

Hello Again and Thanks to all who posted. I've been busy on a 1,001 honey do's since I posted this and so I haven't had a chance to check back.

What it came down to was Lowes saying 'start at the breaker' and the lady of the house thinking that was an automatic guarantee of my electrocution. I got sent out for grub and upon my return an electrician was... replacing the breaker.

Sigh.

Can't win for trying sometimes but 50 bucks later at least he had the circuit tester to verify that the house circuit the porch light was on was Just Fine.

Annnnyway, I got to prove the limitations of electricity (breaker off) upon a mortal coil when I installed the new lamp last night after she went to bed. Now the big problem is that the electrical box is so huge that the canopy (base of fixture) won't fit completely over it and even with the decorative capnuts tightened down to just shy of denting the 'cast iron' aluminum, the fixture wants to sag as it is not flush with the side of the house.

Her solution: "A lot of calk!" Mine. A trip to pick up a new electric box and if not that, some serious shimming on the base of the existing canopy. Guess who's gonna win.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I read every one and appreciate the wisdom.

CharHac
Old 06-03-2007, 08:32 AM   #10
Master Electrician

Thats all he did? Replace the breaker?
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:26 AM   #11

20 bucks to arrive on our doorstep. 10 bucks for the part. 'By The Job, Not The Hour...' minimums for services rendered.

Actually he did give a 5 dollar discount for her AP status.

CharHac
Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #12

Look for a wider base/flange to put behind the fixture and make it sturdy on the wall. Should be able to find one at one of the big box stores made for that purpose. May need longer screws to attach it with. Does the light work now? While at the big box, why not pick up oneof the pencil like current testers for less than 10 bucks. Don't even have to put it against bare wire for it to show current if the wire has current, just touch the insulation. I had rather make a wooden plate to put between the fixture and the wall and paint it than try to use caulk to hold it straight and sturdy.

Be careful if you check with one of the pencil testers. got reminded from another post that they can pickup nearby current sometimes. Still may be hard to differentiate the hot from the nuetral. Seems to me I once tested a situation kind of like yours by touching one prope to the wires one at a time and one directly to the earth, but I was under a floor near enough to the ground to touch it with a prope.

Last edited by boman47k; 06-04-2007 at 11:14 AM.
boman47k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1466 View Post
20 bucks to arrive on our doorstep. 10 bucks for the part. 'By The Job, Not The Hour...' minimums for services rendered.

Actually he did give a 5 dollar discount for her AP status.

CharHac
Are you taking US dollars. That is an extreemly cheep service call. Does this person have a licence?