Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior Soffit Lighting - Please Help with Light Placement

After browsing the Web and thinking about my project, I've decided to ask the user community for their opinions on lighting the exterior of my home. In particular, I am considering the installation of small, 4" canned lighting in my soffits to illuminate the red brick on my home at night. I am currently considering lighting the front and sides of the home.

Because these lights will burn for many hours each night, I would prefer to use LED bulbs, and I have found one that suits my need. It has a long life span, consumes 8 watts (produces light comparable to a 40w incandescent), has a reasonable color temperature and produces a narrow (spot) beam.

The primary issue I'm facing is determining where to install the cans in the soffit to achieve the most aesthetically-pleasing result. I've included a photo of my home so everyone can see the detail of the soffit (2nd story only) where the lights will be installed.

As I see things, I more-or-less have two options: 1) Install a can above each window; or 2) Install a can between each set of corbles, at the center point. The house is approximately 40' wide, and in either option there will be 5 lights across the front of the home.

Please let me know which option you think would be better, or if you have a different idea, I'm all ears.

I should note that there are other LED options that produce a flood beam instead of a spot beam. I'd consider using a flood bulb, too, if the community thinks that doing so would yield a better result.

Thanks for your help.

RedRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Exterior Soffit Lighting - Please Help with Light Placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRX View Post
In particular, I am considering the installation of small, 4" canned lighting in my soffits to illuminate the red brick on my home at night. I am currently considering lighting the front and sides of the home.
NO!!!!!!!!!!

The primary issue I'm facing is determining where to install the cans
Don't do it!

As I see things, I more-or-less have two options: 1) Install a can above each window; or 2) Install a can between each set of corbles
Or do NOTHING AT ALL!!!

Please let me know which option you think would be better NEITHER

or if you have a different idea, I'm all ears.
1) Leave it the F alone.
But if you are absolutely compelled to add lighting...
2) A very small security spot or two under a porch eave. No more.

hth

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior, lighting, soffit