Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Share |

Exterior Flood Light Problem

I have 2 exterior flood light units on my house, one has 2 bulbs the other has 1 bulb. I replaced the bulbs after we moved in about 10 months ago. the typical halogen bulbs burn out after 3 or 4 weeks. I quickly became tired of replacing these bulbs every month and switched to LED flood light bulbs for their advertised longevity. These lasted 3 weeks as well before they stopped working.

I fear I may have an electrical problem somewhere in the line for these two units that is sending too much juice to the units therefore blowing out any bulb i put in. Both units are controlled by one interior light switch. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start troubleshooting the problem before I cough up big bucks for an electrician?

Thanks for any assistance.

5001riverbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5001riverbed View Post
I have 2 exterior flood light units on my house, one has 2 bulbs the other has 1 bulb. I replaced the bulbs after we moved in about 10 months ago. the typical halogen bulbs burn out after 3 or 4 weeks. I quickly became tired of replacing these bulbs every month and switched to LED flood light bulbs for their advertised longevity. These lasted 3 weeks as well before they stopped working.

I fear I may have an electrical problem somewhere in the line for these two units that is sending too much juice to the units therefore blowing out any bulb i put in. Both units are controlled by one interior light switch. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start troubleshooting the problem before I cough up big bucks for an electrician?

Thanks for any assistance.

As soon I read the word " LED " those electronic stuff the #1 killer is power surge they useally toast them did you ever try to use the CFL bulbs they can withstand some degrees better than LED.

Second most common killer is loose connection they will do simair situation as I mention above. Check the connection at the luminarie and switch box due they are probly most likely will happend there so before you do anything make sure the circuit is off on that one.

Merci,
Marc

Old 09-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #3

Older floodlight fixtures often develop problems inside that cause high resistance connections. Many times the problem is in an area that you can't see well. So even if they "look fine" to you, replace the fixtures. They are cheap enough.

That usually solves the bulb eating problem.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #4

Thanks for the information. I replaced one of the light units when we moved in.....the other could be 40 years old for all I know.
5001riverbed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burn, flood, light