Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #1

Share |

Extension cord to romex

I'm looking to get backup power to my furnace from a generator but I'm right on space around the furnace. I do have plenty of room about 10' from the furnace at the ceiling.

Is it safe to connect a power cord w a male end directly to the romex wire that comes from the furnace inside a junction box? I know I can install a single outlet on the panel side to plug the power cable into..but I'm not sure about connecting the cable to the romex

Thanks in advance!!!

**Sorry, the title should be power cord and not extension cord**

Last edited by kiknit; 12-28-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Typo
kiknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Extension cord to romex

No. It is why they call them Suicide cords. As for doing it correctly, you need to install a Generator interlock.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Extension cord to romex

It's not code compliant to put a plug on romex, or to use a cord and plug to connect your furnace. You could do it anyway, but it's not to code. The code compliant way to do this would be to install a power inlet (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-4937-W...dp/B00074USHY/) along with a double-throw switch (a regular 3-way works for this) to transfer the furnace from line power to generator power.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

Extension cord to romex

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
No. It is why they call them Suicide cords.
I thought suicide cords were male on both ends? Im trying to get power to the furnace via a "pig tail" so it can be unplugged from a constant power source and plugged into a generator.
kiknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #5

Extension cord to romex

(Furnaces using 120 volts only, fed by a single breaker)

Somewhere between the furnace and the breaker panel, along the cable that feeds the furnace --- put a 4 inch square junction box. In the box you put one 3 way switch and a standard (15 amp) male receptacle aka inlet.

Connect the neutrals to the neutral prong of the inlet. Connect the furnace hot wire to the common (dark) terminal of the 3 way switch. Connect the inlet hot terminal to one traveler (bright) terminal of the switch. Connect the hot wire from the panel to the other traveler terminal of the switch.

Use an ordinary but grounded extension cord to connect the inlet to the generator when needed. Flip the switch for generator or utility power as needed.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #6

Extension cord to romex

fdeleted