Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Extension Cord Nightmare

Hey guys.
I just moved to a new place and was wondering if anyone has any advice about my power situation. Currently I have a 100 foot 16 gauge extension cord that is plugged into my UPS which in term powers my PC (600W power supply) 2 LCD monitors, small speakers, wireless access point and charges my laptop. It works without tripping any breakers and the cord does not feel warm. Also the UPS reports that it is receiving 121 volts.

So my question is: is this safe and could it damage my equipment. My only option is to use an extension cord for ~ 1 year. I could get away with a shorter cord (~25ft). Should I buy a shorter cord? and if so what wire gauge?

Furthermore from the same wall outlet I plan to run another extension cord with a power-strip off the end of it in order to run about 7 Cisco routers and 4 Switches for a couple of hours every night (not sure how much power they pull...) Do I need to spend the extra $ to get a 12 or 10g cord?

Any advice would be helpful. Trying not to burn the house down

Link to UPS
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...age_type=print

garrettc134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Extension Cord Nightmare

Personally, I WOULD go with a larger gauge and shorter length.

DM

Code05 (09-23-2012), frenchelectrican (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #3

Extension Cord Nightmare

Do you think this chart is accurate?
http://i.stack.imgur.com/0DDyE.jpg

The way I figure it I'm currently pulling 1000w max = 8.33amps
Old 09-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,026

Extension Cord Nightmare

Measure the voltage at the receptacle end of the extension cord (as opposed to at the UPS).

If you are getting 111 to 121 volts with all of the computers and appliances going at the end of the extension cord then you are okay.

An extension cord should be uncoiled when in use to prevent heat from building up within the coils.

It is okay to run a second extension cord along the same route as the first if one cord isn't enough to carry the amperes or watts used by all of the equipment.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-23-2012 at 07:03 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #5

Extension Cord Nightmare

The UPS is at the far end of the extension cord.

Wall outlet ------ 100ft cord--UPS---All my crap .

Should I still measure at the end of the cord or is the UPS measurement accurate enough? Thanks
Old 09-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,226

Extension Cord Nightmare

100 feet of #16 stranded, that is one hell of a drop for both volts & amps. Worst thing is, the load you are putting on it, is heating it up pretty good. Hope you have insurance to cover your place, if it burns down, due to this setup.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Code05 (09-25-2012), DangerMouse (09-24-2012), frenchelectrican (09-24-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Extension Cord Nightmare

Unless you have a "split" receptacle feeding all this mess then you would be limited to about another 500 watts as you are already at 1000 on a theoretical 15 amp receptical OR 1500 watts max.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,026

Extension Cord Nightmare

Measure the voltage at the extension cord receptacles (where the UPS is plugged into), not the UPS receptacles (that the various gear is plugged into). Measure it when all of the gear is turned on.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-25-2012 at 07:24 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Extension Cord Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettc134 View Post
Hey guys.
I just moved to a new place and was wondering if anyone has any advice about my power situation. Currently I have a 100 foot 16 gauge extension cord that is plugged into my UPS which in term powers my PC (600W power supply) 2 LCD monitors, small speakers, wireless access point and charges my laptop. It works without tripping any breakers and the cord does not feel warm. Also the UPS reports that it is receiving 121 volts.

So my question is: is this safe and could it damage my equipment. My only option is to use an extension cord for ~ 1 year. I could get away with a shorter cord (~25ft). Should I buy a shorter cord? and if so what wire gauge?

Furthermore from the same wall outlet I plan to run another extension cord with a power-strip off the end of it in order to run about 7 Cisco routers and 4 Switches for a couple of hours every night (not sure how much power they pull...) Do I need to spend the extra $ to get a 12 or 10g cord?

Any advice would be helpful. Trying not to burn the house down

Link to UPS
http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...age_type=print
You are getting 121V under load? (when everything is running). Voltage drop can only be measured under load. If the UPS is reciving 121 volts, that does not mean that you are getting 121V 100ft away.

With 100ft extension cord 16AWG, it is undersized. If you are really concerned about all the electronic equipment, I would get a proper circuit there. In theory less copper means less resistance so a shorter cord should help with volt drop. The reality may be different especially if you have 2 different kinds of cords.
AltaSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Extension Cord Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
100 feet of #16 stranded, that is one hell of a drop for both volts & amps. Worst thing is, the load you are putting on it, is heating it up pretty good. Hope you have insurance to cover your place, if it burns down, due to this setup.
Basically what the OP doing which I think they may not aware with this is a serious issue due the conductor size and length and the extendison cord is NOT a perament useage.

It the same idea with water hose a super small diamaiter hose will result the same thing no flow ( aka amps on electrical side ) you will have good pressure ( voltage ) but once you open up the flow the pressure will drop alot.

The best thing is do the proper wiring set up if you can do this.

Merci,
Marc
Old 09-25-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
liscenced electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Extension Cord Nightmare

as it sits right now, it sounds like a fire waiting to happen. If adding a new receptacle isn't an option because you are renting, i would get a short 10awg cord. Not just because of the 10awg conductors inside, but also because the ends are much beefier.
jimmy21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #12
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,316

Extension Cord Nightmare

Is the UPS telling you it's putting 'out' 121 Vac or is recieving 121 Vac? Based on my experience, most UPS's are not a very accurate volt meter...

Regarding your load....even though your PC supply might be rated for 600W, I really doubt your anywhere close to that actual limit unless you have about 5 HD's in it along with a wazu video card and other specialty cards. Assuming the monitors pull about 1A each....I bet your only pulling about 6-7A total...maybe 8 when charging the laptop.

Get a shorter extension cord....if anything, just so you have less cord on the floor. Oh, and make it a 14awg cord.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,066

Extension Cord Nightmare

Where did you even find a 100-ft long 16AWG extension cord? But in any case, I'd replace it with a 12AWG cord. They're not that expensive.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 150

Extension Cord Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Where did you even find a 100-ft long 16AWG extension cord?
Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UGG52Y4-2ts
herdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

Extension Cord Nightmare

are there no outlets near the computer?
use the shortest 12 gauge cord you can.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote