Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

Share |

Extension Cord for Geneartor Question

Hello,

Trying to get some questions answered on two subjects for a new generator. Background: Gen is a BlackMaxx BM10500 5000 Watt (I'm not in front of it but I am 99% sure it is this one http://www.blackmaxtools.com/catalog/generators/BM10500). I will not be using this with a transfer switch. Just want to plug in some essentials (fridge, charge some devices, etc.) According to this link (I don't have it in front of me and have not opened the box yet as I am traveling but want to order cables asap) it comes with a 25 ft 20 Amp extension cord that according to the picture looks like a twist lock (not sure the exact name, please enlighten) that splits into 4 female outlets that appear to have two blue dots and two red dots (Not sure what the difference is but I am sure it is in the manual which I will get to). These four outlets appear to be the regular three prong. I know from the picture outside the box that on one side there are four three prong outlets which say 20 AMP beneath them. Next to those four is one twist that also says 20 AMPs.

I was originally looking for a 100 ft. 10 guage 20 amp three prong extension cable and finally found a few:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_67702-66906-UTP711935_0__?productId=3191731&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-Electrical-_-ExtensionCordsSurgeProtectors-_-3191731&"cagpspn=pla"

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Power-Zone-ORP711935-Power-Zone-ORP711935-10-3-Gauge-20-Amp-100-Ft.-Outdoor-Extension-Cord/22217057?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=22217057&sourceid= 1500000000000003260430

http://hardware.thewarehouseshop.com/Woods-2806-100-Foot-Yellow-Jacket-3-Conductor-10-Gauge-Power-Cord_i32365?gclid=CKuKxfH8v7QCFUeRPAodB3gA3Q

But after seeing it has the extension cable, I can probably get away with two 50 ft 10 gauge (maybe 12 gauge at this length) 20 AMP cables. One for the fridge or another high wattage appliance (no. not the dryer, I've done a little research on wattage draws from everyday house hold appliances ) The other to use with a surge protector to power multiple small devices.

Does this sound like a good idea? I had a contractor tell me 15 amp cables would be fine and while I usually trust those in the field as opposed to what is in a text book, this is obviously something worth double checking. Also, I imagine the fact that it starts as a twist going into the four split three prong is a safe practice (especially since they are supplying it)?

Please let me know if I am on the right track and any cable recommendations would be helpful (top brands are fine, I'll track down model numbers. etc.)

Thanks, I'n not a real "handy" guy (blame my dad) so your expertise is appreciated as this has gone beyond simply being sure to not go over the wattage.

Oh, the other question was: I am guessing it is smarter to leave it boxed or specifically, don't put oil in it until it is time to actually use it? I have approx. 20 gallons of gas with Stabil in them ready to go, but my guess is better to leave untouched then "prepare" by putting oil in it?

Thanks again,

Santiago927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #2

How will you know if it even runs if you do not add oil and some gas and test it out?
Just add about a gal. of gas and see if it starts, when you want to shut it off, shut off the fuel and let it run out and stop so there's almost nothing left in the carb.

Why the 100 ft. cord? There's going to be a voltage drop with a cord that long.

I store the fuel for no longer then 1 month, if it does not get used I dump it in the truck and go get new fresh fuel.
My generator always starts, and I've never had to rebuild the carberator in 5 years doing what I suggested.
I also only use nonethenol fuel.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Quote:
How will you know if it even runs if you do not add oil and some gas and test it out?
Just add about a gal. of gas and see if it starts, when you want to shut it off, shut off the fuel and let it run out and stop so there's almost nothing left in the carb.
Good point, I'll test it out. But my reason for not touching it was for letting the oil sit in, not too worried about the gas.

Quote:
Why the 100 ft. cord? There's going to be a voltage drop with a cord that long.
Because 50 was not long enough until I realized it came with 25ft. While I realize there will be some drop-off, the length I need is the length I need.

Any chance I can get a response regarding the larger section of my post?
Quote:
But after seeing it has the extension cable, I can probably get away with two 50 ft 10 gauge (maybe 12 gauge at this length) 20 AMP cables. One for the fridge or another high wattage appliance (no. not the dryer, I've done a little research on wattage draws from everyday house hold appliances ) The other to use with a surge protector to power multiple small devices.

Does this sound like a good idea? I had a contractor tell me 15 amp cables would be fine and while I usually trust those in the field as opposed to what is in a text book, this is obviously something worth double checking. Also, I imagine the fact that it starts as a twist going into the four split three prong is a safe practice (especially since they are supplying it)?
Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #4

Hey guys, bump.