Extension Chord For Stackmate - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

extension chord for stackmate

A coworker wants me to wire an extension chord for his stackmate washer-dryer combo. The washer drains into the kitchen sink. The outlet he needs is on the other side of the room. I was thinking about getting a plug and recepticle and 18' of 8/3 wire running it up the wall, into the suspended cieling, across the room and down the opposite wall. The stack mate draws 30 amps. Are there any problems with this theory? thanks...Rick...

P.S.
This is a temporary rental so he wants to be able to remove it when the time comes.

Advertisement

rick32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

Have you checked the recep that your running the wiring to for what its rated at?
ie will it handle the 30a load from the washer/dryer and is there anything else on that curcuit?

Seems unusual that there wouldnt already be a laundry hook up already installed.

I dont think running the cable the way you are describing is anywhere near code unless its considered as a "temp/under construction" application.

Advertisement

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,306

Two problems with your theory.
So/Sj type cords cannot be run above a drop ceiling, and romex cannot have a male plug and be used as an extension cord.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 AM   #4
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Rewards Points: 2,382

I sorta steered away from this thread because I just didn't feel like making the agruments for the code violations and the reasons why. but to add to what has already been said you cannot plug that washer combo into a outlet that is over 6 feet away. This is the requirement for a residential application, commercial has a few loop holes, but it doesn't involve flexible cord. My question is why are you needing to do this? Where is it plugged in now? If your not going to move the washer dryer combo... this is confusing me a little. Is it because of the gfci requirement and proximity to a sink?
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote