Extending Wiring For A Wall Move? Junction Box? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Extending wiring for a wall move? Junction Box?

Let me start by saying I am not TERRIFIED by electrical work, BUT it has MY UTMOST RESPECT! (I will change outlets, switches, etc, but have not in the past gone past this area. But NOW I HAVE TOO!

Extending wiring for a wall move? Junction Box?-5157391055_438f988bf1.jpg

Ok this is what I have! I will be removing the center stud and need to rerun these wires. I am ALMOST CERTAIN they will not be long enough. Would I use a junction box to add wire to these to make them long enough.

Name:  projected wall.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  26.4 KB

This is what I am going too, Passthru to kitchen.

Is this the way for me to go? (junction boxes I mean) Or is there a completely different way for me to go? Removing the wires completely and rerunning is not an option at all without tearing out upstairs walls. Unfortunetly hiring an electriction is not in the budget.

THANK YOU

Advertisement

Evil Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

what are you doing with the switches? I would think you would not want to move the switches to the other side of the pass through. Too far away from the entrance to either room.

If you frame to allow the switches to stay roughly where they are, can you run the other NM down the same stud?

If you do need to extend the wires, yes, a junction box would be needed. It must remain accessible.

Advertisement

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #3
Mad Scientist

Rewards Points: 512

You've pretty well identified your two choices; if you don't want to re-run longer cables, you'll need to splice in some additional cable. Splices need to be done inside a junction box, and those junction box must remain accessible once the wall is closed up.
McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
Evil Scotsman (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #4

This may seem REALLY REALLY STUPID to you guys!!! But how would I leave them accessible without having a bug ugly octagon box sticking out of the wall?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

you use a box IN the wall and put a blank cover that matches your other trim plates. It's not invisible but not that bad either.

and no octagon boxes.
The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
Evil Scotsman (11-08-2010)
Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #6

IS it possible, (I am new to electrical) to add an outlet where the junction box is and make it functional? Just so there isn't a blank plate? I don't know I am only asking?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Scotsman View Post
IS it possible, (I am new to electrical) to add an outlet where the junction box is and make it functional? Just so there isn't a blank plate? I don't know I am only asking?
if it is a receptacle circuit, absolutely. If the circuit feeds something else, you would have to make sure adding a recep would not cause some sort of problem.

I see 3 cables running down that center stud though. Be very careful of box fill if you are considering running all those cables through one box.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
if it is a receptacle circuit, absolutely. If the circuit feeds something else, you would have to make sure adding a recep would not cause some sort of problem.

I see 3 cables running down that center stud though. Be very careful of box fill if you are considering running all those cables through one box.
Nap THANK YOU! I was just rereading all the posts and the one that you said about framing to keep the switches on the wall they are located makes EXCELLENT sense! That is definately doable! As to the other three wire, I know for a fact that at LEAST ONE of them goes to an outlet on the kitchen side. When I go up the house tonight I will check the other two. So it is acceptable to run them into two junction boxes?!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

You can run them through one box if they fit or each through their own individual boxes. Do you know how to calculate wire fill?

With 3 cables, I would suggest using a 4 11/16X 2 1/8" box with a single gang plaster ring for the recep or blank cover. There is quite a bit of room for wire in them. (about 47 cu in)

Advertisement