Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Extending wires inside the panel

I recently bought a new home and added electrical service to an unfinished second floor. When I popped my main panel cover, I was horrified with the messy job discovered inside. I have a square D box that clearly states "terminals suitable for single conductors", yet there are several terminals that are doubled up, some with neutral and ground connections and others with 2 ground connections. I understand ground connections can be terminated at the neutral bar inside of the main panel, but I don't understand why somebody would waste perfectly good neutral terminals when there is a giant ground bar going unused at the bottom of my panel, but I digress...

To my question, is it acceptable by code to extend the ground connections using twist on wire connectors inside the panel?

I would like to remove all the ground connections from the neutral bar and put them on the ground bar.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by sigma_006; 11-11-2011 at 06:00 PM.
sigma_006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,176

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma_006 View Post

To my question, is it acceptable by code to extend the ground connections using twist on wire connectors inside the panel?

Any help would be appreciated.
In the US, the answer is yes.

But I believe in Canada it is a no.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
sigma_006 (11-11-2011)
Old 11-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 154

Yes it is. I've got tons of them in my panel. Perfect for moving circuit breakers around or allowing enough slack to run the wires along the edge of the box.

Is the neutral bar attached to the grounding bar in any way? If so, don't waste your time rewiring. I recently had my panel replaced, and the old one was a huge tangeled mess of wires, old circuits not attached to anything, and one gigantic neutral bar with the neutrals and grounds attached together. The electrician sorted out the wires nicely, labeled everything, and seperated the grounds and neutrals. Probably a good idea with newer electronics.
matt151617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,304

Unless it is a sub-panel, grounds and neutrals can be on the same bus bars. There is only one Square D panel that allows for double-taps on the breakers, the other does not. If the connections are properly made and tight, you will have no problems. Also adding a whole-house surge is good to protect electronics in the home.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,222

Both the Square D Homeline and QO breakers allow 2 conductors in the 15-30 amp sizes.

Neutrals need to be terminated by themselves. Grounds of the same size can be doubled in #12s and #14s.

Can you post a pic?