Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Extending wire from meter box

I am going to have the meter pulled and install a new 100 amp breaker panel.I am not sure the wires from the electric service will reach main panel on by breaker pane.Is there anyway to extend the wires? give me some ideas. thanks proge

proge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 10

If the wires don't reach the panel you should just have a new tail installed from the meter socket to the panel.

Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #3

I would like to try to extend it myself there is no way to legally extend it?thanks proge
Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 PM   #4

You cannot splice it, you will have to replace the cable from the main meter socket to your panel if the existing cable will not reach.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 PM   #5

if your inside panel is 100 amp you probably have breakers outside. why pull the meter? usually the new box is not the same size as the old. if you haven't bought the 100 amp panel yet go to the store and see if any panels have lugs situated better for what you are doing than other panels. you can also buy a remodeling panel that is made to accomodate wires that are too short. sometimes you have to get creative with a job like this. buddy builder
buddy builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 PM   #6

I am trying to install a new homeline 100 amp breaker panel.The leads from the meter are too short to reach breaker panel.Is there a box I can buy that will help hook up breaker panel.I do not want to have the meter leads extended.Somebody give me some ideas how to hook this up. thanks proge
Old 08-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy builder View Post
if your inside panel is 100 amp you probably have breakers outside. why pull the meter? usually the new box is not the same size as the old. if you haven't bought the 100 amp panel yet go to the store and see if any panels have lugs situated better for what you are doing than other panels. you can also buy a remodeling panel that is made to accomodate wires that are too short. sometimes you have to get creative with a job like this. buddy builder
I need a way to hook meter wires to a disconnect switch or something.The leads are only about 6 inches long. help me proge
Old 08-13-2009, 01:37 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

No, you just need to buy longer wire to reach the lugs on the new panel. That's what I had to do when I replaced my main panel. I bought about 6ft worth of wire (total cost was about 10-15 bucks I think) and needed about 4.5 feet or so when everything was all connected and routed like I wanted it. Power came into the breaker box at the bottom from the meter on the other side of the wall and needed to be routed to the top of the breaker box. I upsized the wire from the meter to the panel so I was dealing with 4/0 aluminum for the hots and 2/0 for the neutral. Very difficult to bend the very end of the wire to make it fit, had to use a pipe to put the end of the wire into in order to get enough leverage to manuever the wire. Primary issue working with the wire was in the meter box, panel wiring was a lot easier.

If you are using aluminum wiring, don't forget the antioxidant compound on all the ends of the aluminum wiring!
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #9

[quote=theatretch85;313958]No, you just need to buy longer wire to reach the lugs on the new panel. That's what I had to do when I replaced my main panel. I bought about 6ft worth of wire (total cost was about 10-15 bucks I think) and needed about 4.5 feet or so when everything was all connected and routed like I wanted it. Power came into the breaker box at the bottom from the meter on the other side of the wall and needed to be routed to the top of the breaker box. I upsized the wire from the meter to the panel so I was dealing with 4/0 aluminum for the hots and 2/0 for the neutral. Very difficult to bend the very end of the wire to make it fit, had to use a pipe to put the end of the wire into in order to get enough leverage to manuever the wire. Primary issue working with the wire was in the meter box, panel wiring was a lot easier.

If you are using aluminum wiring, don't forget the antioxidant compound on all the ends of the aluminum wiring![/quote
I was going install electric panel.I would have to get a permit from city to pull meter because I dont have a disconnect yet.I dont know if they would let me install pigtail to meter or not.Is it difficult was going to use no 4 copper wires.I know if they pull meter the two upper wires are hot from the pole.When you hook up ground to the box can you get shocked when you hook it up.I was going to use gloves anyway
Old 08-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by proge View Post
I was going install electric panel.I would have to get a permit from city to pull meter because I dont have a disconnect yet.I dont know if they would let me install pigtail to meter or not.Is it difficult was going to use no 4 copper wires.I know if they pull meter the two upper wires are hot from the pole.When you hook up ground to the box can you get shocked when you hook it up.I was going to use gloves anyway
You are in over your head, it sounds. If you don't want to do it right to begin with, no one here is going to give you advice on how to do it wrong. Either do it right, or don't do it.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:14 PM   #11

Call a Electrician PLEASE
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 54

Proge, I answered this on another board you posted to.
You are being advised the proper, legal and safe way to do this, yet you keep asking for other ways.
Seeing your unwavering cries for help in doing this the wrong way I'll say that I totally agree with 300 and InPhase. Get someone qualified to do this job! Please!