Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2010, 09:51 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Extending Range Of Stove Electrical - bad idea?

Hi there! I am in the process of re-doing my kitchen which means the stove has moved against another wall but only about 5-6 feet worth of cable away from where it has to plug in. I was going to move the whole receptacle to the new location of the stove but the cable will not pull through the wall to that place (I think its stapled or twist tied on some wall beams behind the drywall.

So my other option is to run a new wire for it from the switch panel directly to where the new receptacle would be installed... but to be honest that is going to be a PAIN in the ass.

So my second option (and I know some people will say this is not a good idea) is to splice the wires on the end of the plug for the stove and attach them in a junction box to some copper wire I bought and run the copper wire into the back of the stove. So ill be going in this order from wall to stove - (Aluminum wiring out the wall...into the receptacle, the 4 prong stove plugs into that, which the end of that goes inside a junction box which connects the "extension" copper wire by using end caps and the "Special goop" for use when connecting aluminum to copper, I put on those caps and rubbed into the aluminum wiring. Then I plan to wrap each wire individually about 100 times with electrical tape around the caps etc before closing the junction box.. just to be sure.

Can anyone see any problems with this idea? .. other than It may not meet code? PS. My junction boxes are fit to size for the cable (the bigger square ones). By problems I mean will this cause fire, disaster, explosions, burning, melting, house burning down? ? ?

Thanks for your help... This is my first kitchen reno... what a pain in the ass. (the return plumbing for the most part is being a pain... theres no low point to drop to so I had to rip some walls down in another room to tie into ...ugh)

Thanks for your advice and help!

sleepysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Can anyone see any problems with this idea? .. other than It may not meet code?
Isn't that enough?

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Master Electrician

you'll be hard pressed to get an answer to that one here.....we're usually in the business of telling people how to do things the right way. Run a new wire and save yourself the trouble, or open up the wall remove the staples and move the old wire.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #4

It may meet code I dunno.... Does it? I have heard mixed reviews about this topic.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM   #5
Electrician

Do you have a basement underneath this? If so, it would probably be easy to find the cable and cut it (since it's stapled up in the wall), then put a box down there and extend it to the new location.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #6

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
Do you have a basement underneath this? If so, it would probably be easy to find the cable and cut it (since it's stapled up in the wall), then put a box down there and extend it to the new location.
Yes the basement below the kitchen is a crawl space... funny thing is the wire for the stove comes DOWN from somewhere higher up in the wall... it doesn't come up from the basement (I wish.... I have checked many of times searching for that damn cable hoping it was there, it definatley drops from above and likely cuts over at some point to the left towards the breaker box ). My house is a side split so it makes things confusing. (Especially draining water from lower level to a higher level)
Old 08-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
Master Electrician

well your not allowed to hardwire a stove....period, unless it's designed to be hardwired. by cutting off the cord you void the standards approval in whatever area your in. cutting the wire in the basement and doing a joint there is definately the best option if your dead set against running a new wire.

or attic apparently :D
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
Electrician

I would check the attic for the cable, maybe you can splice it up there.

The cable might come thru the wall the entire run, I've seen it before when the panel isn't very far from the device.

If you can't find the cable, you are going to have to run a new one. This shouldn't be too hard since you have the crawlspace.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

When you are done, what is going to be where the current plug is? If it's going to be hidden by the fridge, or cabinets, you may as well just cut the drywall and fish the wire to the new location, and do a quick patch job, not like anyone will see it anyway.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #10

Wink

I know but the basement is a crawl space... theres no electrical there at all.... or plumbing for that matter. I don't see a difference in installing a junction box behind my counter and running the cable to the stove, or installing a junction box in the basement and running to the stove. Its the same thing no? just different location of junction box. All Wiring runs through the walls Above kitchen counter level (because house is side split the kitchen and living room are on a lower level than the junction box on the other side of the house..yes i know weird) Meaning all wiring coming to the lower side of the house (kitchen living room etc... comes from above and down) It may even go up into attic and to the other side of the house (the higher level side) and back down to the Breaker panel) Hard to tell... drywall is in the way but I do know there is no electrical below the kitchen or anywhere below in that crawl space. I hate crawl spaces... never again will I buy a house with a crawl space.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #11

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
When you are done, what is going to be where the current plug is? If it's going to be hidden by the fridge, or cabinets, you may as well just cut the drywall and fish the wire to the new location, and do a quick patch job, not like anyone will see it anyway.
Itll actually be Behind the counter... they designed it so you could run plumbing behind the counter / electrical / etc etc without seeing any wire. I think most new kitchens have this design... my old one I ripped out did not have this luxury.

So no you wont see it but on that note... who knows how far that cable runs up the wall behind the drywall? it may run to attic which means clearly I will be ripping a piece of drywall from top to bottom of the kitchen... not so good.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #12
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepysmurf View Post
I know but the basement is a crawl space... theres no electrical there at all.... or plumbing for that matter. I don't see a difference in installing a junction box behind my counter and running the cable to the stove, or installing a junction box in the basement and running to the stove. Its the same thing no? just different location of junction box. All Wiring runs through the walls Above kitchen counter level (because house is side split the kitchen and living room are on a lower level than the junction box on the other side of the house..yes i know weird) Meaning all wiring coming to the lower side of the house (kitchen living room etc... comes from above and down) It may even go up into attic and to the other side of the house (the higher level side) and back down to the Breaker panel) Hard to tell... drywall is in the way but I do know there is no electrical below the kitchen or anywhere below in that crawl space. I hate crawl spaces... never again will I buy a house with a crawl space.
If you want, you can install a junction box where the receptacle is now and run cable to the new location and install a receptacle.

You need to make sure that the junction box is accessible.
You need to make sure that the cable is not subject to damage.
You can NOT hardwire this cable into the stove, you will have to mount the receptacle behind it like it is currently wired.
sleepysmurf (08-09-2010)
Old 08-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #13

If you want, you can install a junction box where the receptacle is now and run cable to the new location and install a receptacle.
-thanks that sounds like a good idea

You need to make sure that the junction box is accessible. - it will be behind the counter but i can cut a small square hole through the back of the drawers to gain access to it.

You need to make sure that the cable is not subject to damage - its running about 5 feet behind the counter in holes drilled for it so nothing should even touch it

You can NOT hardwire this cable into the stove, you will have to mount the receptacle behind it like it is currently wired - I can do that... just need to buy a new stove cord as my current one is chopped up and ready to be placed in a junction box.

I like this guy ^^
Old 08-09-2010, 10:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post

You need to make sure that the junction box is accessible.
You need to make sure that the cable is not subject to damage.
You can NOT hardwire this cable into the stove, you will have to mount the receptacle behind it like it is currently wired.
Thanks man, so far this sounds like the best solution to me.

Anyone else have any ideas? if not I think ill go this route.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Proby

Just dropped in ... why is he chopping up range cords??

Stubbie
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote