Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #1

Share |

Extending Old Main Circuit Panel

I'm trying to find the best option for an old main panel location.

I had my service loop for the original main panel moved about 75 feet and upgraded to a 200 amp service. I now have the main panel (200 amp) with a loop to the old panel (150 amp). The reason for the move was for excavation.

By doing this excavation the old panel is now about 9 feet above the ground.

I would like to build a deck above where I excavated, but this would mean the old panel would only be about 18 inches above the deck surface.

I would like to move and replace the old panel which has all the breakers for the house. Unfortunately, the only way to move the panel would be to splice the wires.

Is there a way to properly splice these wires and can I move the old panel inside the house. I purchased aother 200 amp breaker box as a replacement of the old panel but I'm not sure if I need 2 - 200 amp panels.

lkpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #2

Id have one of the electricians here answer this, but ill give my 2c, you might have to tear up some of the inside of the house and move the panel to the inside. Then get a sub panel and rewire it in.

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking that may be a solution, however the old main (I'll now call the sub panel) was mounted outside in such a way that the only access to it would be by cutting a hole up from the basement into the kitchen floor behind the bottom cabinets. All the wires actually go through the wall just above the kitchen floor, behind the bottom cabinets. It appears if I was able to do that, I would still need to splice the wires to make the leads long enough to reach the subpanel inside the house (in the basement)

I quess my question really is, if I build the deck as planned and the subpanel is about 12 - 18 inches above the top of the deck. Can I enclose the subpanel? If I need to move the subpanel, can I instal a J-box at the current location and move the sub panel somewhere else.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Electrician

You can enclose the ‘sub-panel’ if it is readily accessible when finished. Usually a hinged door or cover, or a cover that doesn’t require tools to remove is acceptable to most AHJ’s. Contact your inspector for their approval. Most AHJ’s will accept a j-box for a situation like you describe, as it’s a feeder circuit and has over-current protection ahead of it. Just watch your box fill, and use the proper one for it’s location.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:15 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping enclosing the sub panel would be a solution. Lot less work not having to run a j-box or cutting holes.