Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #1

Share |

Extending a GFCI in the bathroom

Hello,

I am located in the City of Chicago and I have a small electrical improvement I want to make, but need some input.

There is a GFCI outlet on one wall and I want to extend this outlet to the other end of a 5' long vanity as there is no outlet at the other end, where the toilet is located. My questions are these:

Can I extend the GFCI through the cabinet in either flexible conduit or rigid conduit?

Can I place the outlet box in the sidewall of the cabinet instead of inside the wall cavity?

This is the only outlet or electrical box in the bathroom where there is a ground connection. My plan would be to cut into the wall behind the existing GFCI (bedroom) and run the conduit down about a foot and along the inside back of the cabinet. And, of course, the outlet at the other end would be a GFCI as well.

I have done my own electrical in the past, so I know how, just don't have access to the current electrical code and wanted to see if anyone knew off the top of their head if this is acceptable.

Thanks.

Bob

diamondking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:14 PM   #2

You sound like you are on the right track if I am reading what you wrote correctly. The romex inside the cabinet needs to be protected, you can put an outlet in the cabinet or outside the cabinet itself, it doesn't have to be in a wall. You don't need the new outlet to be a GFCI outlet since it is protected by the 1st GFCI.

Mike Finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:28 PM   #3

I don't think I'm going to wire the GFCIs inline. I don't want one to trip the other downline, so I will be creating a pigtail situation.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
You sound like you are on the right track if I am reading what you wrote correctly. The romex inside the cabinet needs to be protected, you can put an outlet in the cabinet or outside the cabinet itself, it doesn't have to be in a wall. You don't need the new outlet to be a GFCI outlet since it is protected by the 1st GFCI.
He lives in Chicago. Everything needs to be in conduit. No romex allowed.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #5

He lives in Chicago, No home owners doing any electrical work at all.

Sowwy, that is the law in your fair city.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
He lives in Chicago, No home owners doing any electrical work at all.

Sowwy, that is the law in your fair city.
And I'm sure there are never any do-it-yourselfers in this fair city that do their own work.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #7
So Cal Electrician

Send a message via Yahoo to hbsparky

then I hope you plan on keeping that house forever
Old 04-30-2007, 10:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbsparky View Post
then I hope you plan on keeping that house forever
Umm...yes....of course I do....

Please...
Old 04-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #9

You know, this wasn't supposed to be a diatribe about who can do what in the city of Chicago. I was asking very specific questions that only 1 person attempted to answer. So, putting the rest on the backburner, what does THE CODE say about the specifics of what I'm doing. I know Chicago requires conduit. I'm specifically interested in knowing whether or not I should be using watertight under the sink and if it is even CODE to do what I'm suggesting.

Let's not stray from the main topic here.

Let's just say I'd like to know so I can specify my desires to a LICENSED ELECTRICIAN instead of him telling me how he's planning to do it, which is usually the most expensive way.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:29 AM   #10
They're all fixer-uppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondking View Post
You know, this wasn't supposed to be a diatribe about who can do what in the city of Chicago. I was asking very specific questions that only 1 person attempted to answer. So, putting the rest on the backburner, what does THE CODE say about the specifics of what I'm doing. I know Chicago requires conduit. I'm specifically interested in knowing whether or not I should be using watertight under the sink and if it is even CODE to do what I'm suggesting.

Let's not stray from the main topic here.

Let's just say I'd like to know so I can specify my desires to a LICENSED ELECTRICIAN instead of him telling me how he's planning to do it, which is usually the most expensive way.

I think you might be missing the point - why are worried about what the code says for the "specifics" of what you doing, if you are breaking the local code to do it in the first place. The rest of it becomes a moot point, just make sure what you do is safe and realize that this will cause problems w/ perspective buyers if you do sell. I might be missing something, but to me it would be like killing someone and not wanting to speed during the get-away, you've already commited the more serious violation by doing the work yourself... its not as severe but on the same lines?

BTW, I honestly think that if you hired a licensed electrician and instructed him or her on how to do their job, THAT would be the MOST expensive way, not the other way around...
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #11

Everything you are planning sounds fine to me.

joed is online now   Reply With Quote