Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Extending furnace #2 cu xhhw supply

Hi,

We are remodeling a house that I built 20+ years ago. I did all of the original wiring. We now need to move a furnace about 5 feet and rather than run new wiring, I am looking at splicing on an additional 6' of type SE xhhw #2 aluminum wire. I was planning on using Al split bolts sized for #2 with anti-oxident to connect the wires and shield to the additional piece and wrap the connections in rubber electrical taper and enclose in a large junction box.

I can't find anything in the NEC or on the net about this and I was hoping that someone can clue me in as to whether my approach is legal and will work OK.

Thanks
Joe

JSolCanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
When is fishing season?

Must be a pretty big furnace needing #2AL!

Old 02-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #3
electrical contractor

I do not think it is aginst code to splice the wire providing it is in a junction box. I would use a compression connector for the splice, you can get crimp sleeves for #2al find someone with a crimp tool to make the joint, use anti-oxident and insulate them well. The EMC around here uses crimp sleeves and heat shrink to splice feeders, it works for them so it will work for us as well

Life is tough, Life is tougher when you are stupid.
wire_twister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #4
Union Electrician

Sounds like you've got it. Make sure you use your NOALOX. Super 33 tape costs more but it's worth it. I have to ask, since you did the original wiring: why XHHW? Don't get me wrong I love it, but it doesn't strike me as the obvious choice.

Also with wire that large, make sure that your junction box is big enough to handle the splicing that you'll be doing. I think that many home centers sell larger junction boxes that will suit your purpose. Perhaps an 8x8?

Last edited by goose134; 02-28-2008 at 10:11 PM.
goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #5
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose134 View Post
Sounds like you've got it. Make sure you use your NOALOX. Super 33 tape costs more but it's worth it. I have to ask, since you did the original wiring: why XHHW? Don't get me wrong I love it, but it doesn't strike me as the obvious choice.

Also with wire that large, make sure that your junction box is big enough to handle the splicing that you'll be doing. I think that many home centers sell larger junction boxes that will suit your purpose. Perhaps an 8x8?
Seems like most aluminum I use is XHHW/XHHW-2. I know other types exist. Just most I come across is XHHW.

InPhase277
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:21 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

here is the one way you can coonnected a safe manner http://www.aplussupply.com/nsipolari...polarisIPL.jpg

that photo will show a good connection and yes you need 8X8X4 box it will come either plastic or steel box but to use the steel box make sure you bonded it with a ground wire from the box screw to the ground wire [ typically either bare or green wire and tie it together ]

and do not enclose the box where ya can't see it and you may need it to open it in future to make it easy for repair.

Merci, Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
Union Electrician

Quote:
Seems like most aluminum I use is XHHW/XHHW-2. I know other types exist. Just most I come across is XHHW.
I haven't done a lot of work with aluminum. I wasn't aware that XHHW was the norm. It's unusual to run into it with copper conductors, I guess.

goose134 is offline   Reply With Quote