Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 04:15 AM   #1

Share |

Extending a circuit past a receptacle switch

Hello. I am installing a ceiling fan (new work) and want to know if I can pull the feed from a switch that currently controls a receptacle. The switch is at the end of its run. It has a white hot and a black leg going back to the switched plug, so no real neutral from what I see. I want to turn the single gang box into a double gang box, add a switch and run the power feed from the new switch to the fan ending the run there. Can I do that? Thanks!

Bull2055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 AM   #2

meter those 2 colors to the raw ground or the metal box if you have it .the black HOT should be 115V to ground,and then to the white NEUTRAL 115V.break the hot thru the new switch from the exsisting socket then connect the neutral to the other side of the socket those 2 wires coming down from the ceiling fan..should have a raw copper ground also on that drop..verify up at the ceiling when the switch is OFF you have no 115V to ground or neutral

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

No it will not work as you describe because you have no neutral (you have s switch loop). You can eliminate the switched receptacle (have it hot all the time) and use the switch for the fan. Or you can pull the new cable to the fan into the recptacle box and have the switched receptacle and the fan work together.

Other than that you need to find a new feed (hot, neutral and ground) and cable it to either the fan or the switch box.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #4
Licensed electrician

You will need to keep the switched receptacle unless you add a light kit to the fan. Most rooms require a switch controlled lighting outlet.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #5

Thanks so much for all your replies. I will proceed to replace the receptacle with a new std configuration (always hot) and extend power to the switch. Thanks again. Happy holidays!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Another option is to feed the fan from the hot feed in the receptacle and use a fan remote to control it.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
UAW SKILLED TRADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
meter those 2 colors to the raw ground or the metal box if you have it .the black HOT should be 115V to ground,and then to the white NEUTRAL 115V.break the hot thru the new switch from the exsisting socket then connect the neutral to the other side of the socket those 2 wires coming down from the ceiling fan..should have a raw copper ground also on that drop..verify up at the ceiling when the switch is OFF you have no 115V to ground or neutral

No offense but your advice is incorrect you obviously do not understand what the OP described.

BTW what is a 'raw copper ground' ....

Stubbie
Stubbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #8

thought he had a neutral on the wall socket =s receptical 115V exsisting...raw copper ground is in a romex pull with a white/black for 115V
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #9

Well no matter because I have a different head scratcher. I was working to change the receptacle to always hot and found out there were two hot leads leads coming into the box, one of them white. I ganged the hot blacks and white together, took a hot pigtail from that, put white neutrals on the plug along with the hot pigtail and hot lead away and was able to get the downstream light to work. But I had another breaker trip. Why would there be 2 hot leads into a box? Thanks
Old 12-11-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
A "Handy Husband"

One of the whites is the switch loop? How many cables with colors do you have at the receptacle box? And confirm what you told us that you have a single cable with white and black at the switch box. (I anm ignoring the bare ground).
Old 12-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #11
Licensed electrician

What are you using to determine the wires are hot?