Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #1

Share |

Extend Wire in Box

I'm trying to replace a receptacle in my kitchen, but there is one set of conduit that is cut to short to actually connect it correctly to the receptacle.

There are two sets coming in, one from the bottom and one from the top of the box. Both sets are short, but the hot wire on one is almost impossible to use because of how short it is. What are my options? Here is what I was considering...
1. ) pigtail the neutral and hot wires separately and extend the pigtailed wire to the receptacle.(just not very much room with two wire nuts in the box for the receptacle).

2.) Use term-a-nut wire connectors and do essentially the same thing( I can only locate the ground connectors, not hot and neutral)

3.) Pigtail the two circuits and cover with a plate (lose the outlet....not really what I want to do if possible)

Ideas??

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #2

Extend Wire in Box

I'm not aware of a way to splice a connection outside of an outlet, ceiling or junction box to code. Do you think you'd be able to pigtail all conductors inside the box?

You may be able to get by with adding a 4" junction box on the side it comes from and cover it with a painted/lightly textured cover plate (leaving the screws accessible). Or you could cover such a junction with a wired smoke detector/CO detector, I think. But that would probably look very out of place on a kitchen wall at switch height.

Is it possible to replace the box with a box one gang larger, rotate it vertically oriented, then add a nightlight device, dummy switch, etc to fill up the extra box?

You may have to face the possibility of opening the wall and replacing that run of the circuit to do the job the right way. Just some ideas...

Thadius856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #3

Extend Wire in Box

Adding a bigger box is not really an option. It's in the tiled backsplash in my kitchen. It would require a huge mess in order to run new conduit. I think I can fit the pigtail IN the box as long as I use a standard receptacle and forget the GFCI. Is there wire that I can buy that is flexible and not so rigid? This is a big problem since I can't really bend the bulky wire back into the box.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #4
I=E/R

Extend Wire in Box

What about these? Must be a small box but with only two cables and a device you should have room.
http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...v=0&l1=push-in
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #5

Extend Wire in Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7ecorsair View Post
What about these? Must be a small box but with only two cables and a device you should have room.
http://www.idealindustries.com/prodD...v=0&l1=push-in
I actually thought about using those, but didn't know if I could. These would save a huge hassle. I might give them a whirl....is there flex 12 or 14 gauge I can use or am I confined to what's in a 14-2 or 12-2 conduit?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #6
Electrician

Extend Wire in Box

Is it cable or conduit? They are not the same thing.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #7

Extend Wire in Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Is it cable or conduit? They are not the same thing.
It's in a plastic sheathing, so conduit??? 3 wires coming out: a hot , neutral and a ground.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Electrician

Extend Wire in Box

Cable. If it were conduit then you could pull the wires out and replace them (just wanted to clarify). Refer to the link in Corsairs post...those push-on connectors work well in a pinch.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #9

Extend Wire in Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Cable. If it were conduit then you could pull the wires out and replace them (just wanted to clarify). Refer to the link in Corsairs post...those push-on connectors work well in a pinch.
Can I use those connectors on just one cable( the hot). Since it is the shortest in the box?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
Master Electrician

Extend Wire in Box

The situation described in the OP tells me you have two sets of cables entering the box with pig tails already connected to each conductor. If this is so, simply remove the existing pig tail and splice a longer pigtail to the other conductors. Thhn stranded wire is available for greater flexibility.
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #11
Electrician

Extend Wire in Box

Granted it's not ideal, but it's a way to make a pigtail to extend the length.