Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Insanity
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

ext motion senesor and inside wall switch


Can an existing outside light be controlled by both a motion sensor and an inside wall switch? Not sure how to approach. What sensor to select and how the 2 way would be wired if so.
Thanks for any feedback


Last edited by redrumliny; 09-04-2009 at 11:08 AM.
redrumliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 0
Default

ext motion senesor and inside wall switch


Typically the switch would send/kill power to the motion sensor/light fixture.

On most models, if you want to turn the light on, you flip the switch on/off/on and it will stay on (night time only)

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,506
Rewards Points: 0
Default

ext motion senesor and inside wall switch


Yes. It's done all the time. You can use the switch to bypass the sensor if you like, or just use the switch to turn it off completely. I like to leave the sensor hot all the time. That way if the switch is off, the light will still come on.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Insanity
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 0
Default

ext motion senesor and inside wall switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Yes. It's done all the time. You can use the switch to bypass the sensor if you like, or just use the switch to turn it off completely. I like to leave the sensor hot all the time. That way if the switch is off, the light will still come on.
How does one wire it like this? This is what I am looking for. Suggest any sensors? Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by redrumliny; 09-04-2009 at 12:45 PM.
redrumliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Insanity
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 0
Default

ext motion senesor and inside wall switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Typically the switch would send/kill power to the motion sensor/light fixture.

On most models, if you want to turn the light on, you flip the switch on/off/on and it will stay on (night time only)
I gather then if I want the light to go off but back into sensor mode I hit the switch on/off/on again and its back in business?
redrumliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Member
 
300zx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 630
Rewards Points: 0
Post

ext motion senesor and inside wall switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by redrumliny View Post
I gather then if I want the light to go off but back into sensor mode I hit the switch on/off/on again and its back in business?
To turn back to sensor mode turn switch off and wait a few seconds and turn switch back on and you are good to go.
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Insanity
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 0
Default

ext motion senesor and inside wall switch


Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zx View Post
To turn back to sensor mode turn switch off and wait a few seconds and turn switch back on and you are good to go.
This will be done all from the inside ~ existing ~ light switch???
Want to use existing exterior light and existing inside wall switch and add the sensor to the set-up.

Sorry if I am green on this ~ Do appreciate the help ~ TY

redrumliny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.