DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Exposed pool ground wire, can I just cut it?

14K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Drywallhelp 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have this ground wire (I think it is a ground wire) sticking up from out of my pool. A guy offered to cut this for me and hide it but it seems I can do that myself. Does every pool just have a ground wire going around it to protect it from shock or something? Can I just cut this and hide it? Thanks!

:jester:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
...stick it in the ground slam a rod into the ground and secure it to that...
Do NOT do this. There is absolutely NO reason to sink a ground rod for a pool BOND, which is what that is.

Code5 is right, do not cut it. Just bury it under the stones.

Reactions: Drywallhelp
#6 ·
Was there some kind of equipment there previously? A heater, ladder, diving board, filter, etc.? It's rather odd to have a random bonding wire sicking out of the ground.

#8 ·
I was trying to look up what this bonding grid is, I still am unclear. Am I right when I put it simply that it grounds metal within 5 feet of the pool? Kind of like a ground wire you use in a ceiling fan or electrical outlet?

http://www.mikeholt.com/mojonewsarchive/NEC-HTML/HTML/SwimmingPoolInstallations~20021227.htm
Quote below from this link above
Author's Comment: Bonding is required for diving structures, sliding glass door frames, windows
, fences, screen enclosures, heater equipment, and the metal cases of electrical equipment, such as the blower, chlorinator, etc. located within 5 ft of the water’s edge.
(C) Common Bonding Grid. The metallic parts of a pool, outdoor spa or hot tub specified in 680.26(B) shall be electrically bonded to a common bonding grid by a solid conductor not smaller than 8 AWG. The termination of the bonding conductor shall be made by exothermic welding, or clamps labeled (listed) as being suitable for the purpose. The common bonding grid can consist of any of the following: Figure 680-20 un680-20 680-26C.cdr

#11 ·
I was trying to look up what this bonding grid is, I still am unclear. Am I right when I put it simply that it grounds metal within 5 feet of the pool?
It doesn't just ground it. Most of the metal around a pool is literally grounded already - it's in contact with the earth or the water. This is insufficient to ensure that it remains at "ground" potential, because the earth has fairly high resistance. The bonding grid connects all metal objects and equipment, the reinforced concrete around the pool, and the pool water itself, together with copper wire. This ensures that all of the bonded parts stay at the same voltage. That way there is no possibility that you can be shocked by touching any of those things while in or around the pool.

#9 ·
First thing is just bury that conductor under the landscape stone. { Jamais cut the conductor at all }

And do not sink a ground rod that is not needed at all.

The grid do serve the purpose to keep the stray voltage down to near zero.

There are quite few diffrent links related to this topic { you can goggle it due my part will show up in French verison }

Merci.
Marc

#12 ·
If you check the pool equipment, you should see a similar wire bonded to the outside of your pool pump, and possibly other equipment there. It is part of the equipotential bonding system that protects anyone in the pool from stray currents. If that wire is just hanging loose, it might be wise to connect it back to the pool equipment with 8 gauge copper wire (green).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.