Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Military Mom of 4

Share |

Existing wiring (with diagram sketch) - is it ok to leave alone or should I rewire

Sketching up the deal is easier than trying to get a good photo in the attic of the issue in question.

So I'm wiring for the bathroom and this is the present setup:

Now - before I dug through the insulation to see the wiring I was planing on leaving it all alone, reusing the existing wiring and just replacing the light-fixtures but now that I see what was done I'm not sure if I can.

I've tried to read up and determine how acceptable this is but there's no pinpoint answer to this.

So - ok to leave or do I need to redo?

Old 03-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Existing wiring (with diagram sketch) - is it ok to leave alone or should I rewire

I would say it is fine unless you are replacing the fixtures with new ones that require 90 deg. C conductors and the existing conductors are not so rated.

brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

The old wiring is NM-B so I should be good then.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Master Electrician

Yes, NM-B conductors are rated at 90 deg. C.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Thank you, appreciate it - I was really not looking forward to having to rerun the wires
Old 03-31-2010, 04:53 PM   #6

Myself I replace any wiring without a ground
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Military Mom of 4

A lot of my receptacles and so forth aren't grounded so I'm fishing ground wire through separately - I'll simply add it onto this in the same manor.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:35 PM   #8

Don't forget the GFCI required in the bathroom........ ground or not. Whoops, ceiling lights, ah well - a good thought anyway.

Be safe, Gary
Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Myself I replace any wiring without a ground

by far the best way to do it....so much stuff depends on the ground these days and far too many people just plop a three prong outlet on old wire.

then they wonder why they're electronic equipment suddenly stops working
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
Military Mom of 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Don't forget the GFCI required in the bathroom........ ground or not. Whoops, ceiling lights, ah well - a good thought anyway.

Be safe, Gary
Got it covered.

You know all those bad experiences that people give keen advice in order to steer someone from ever going through it - well, I've been through all that.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
by far the best way to do it....so much stuff depends on the ground these days and far too many people just plop a three prong outlet on old wire.

then they wonder why they're electronic equipment suddenly stops working
The Ontario Electrical Safety code allows ungrounded receptacles to be replaced with GFCI receptacles.

I assume that you are saying that the electronic equipment may fail if its surge protector doesn't have a grounded electrical supply! I'm unsure whether this is a fact or not, but my home, built in 1948 was wired with ungrounded Romex, and I have yet to have any of my electronics damaged due to this!
The intent of having grounded outlets was to ground the case of electrical appliances in case a short circuit occurred from the hot conductor to the case. It would then force the breaker to trip, thus protecting users!
Now we see double insulated devices, that do not require a ground for this purpose, so is it possible, that in the future grounded outlets will become obsolete?
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #12
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
The Ontario Electrical Safety code allows ungrounded receptacles to be replaced with GFCI receptacles.

I assume that you are saying that the electronic equipment may fail if its surge protector doesn't have a grounded electrical supply! I'm unsure whether this is a fact or not, but my home, built in 1948 was wired with ungrounded Romex, and I have yet to have any of my electronics damaged due to this!
The intent of having grounded outlets was to ground the case of electrical appliances in case a short circuit occurred from the hot conductor to the case. It would then force the breaker to trip, thus protecting users!
Now we see double insulated devices, that do not require a ground for this purpose, so is it possible, that in the future grounded outlets will become obsolete?
not likely.....and some electronics stiplulate the there must be a ground connected for them to work properly. I actually had another post going in here where because of no ground electronic ballasts were inducing a voltage into the ceiling grid.
Part two of this is that in the event of a lightning strike the ground is what saves lives.
A third thing to mention would be what happens if your short happens in a wall or a box. That box is now live.
No the new code books are actually getting more strict on ground use rather than more lax. Grounds save lives.....period.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Military Mom of 4

Well - it wasn't fun but it's done. I found a few "eaten" parts of the existing wire (rats - old damage) while hanging my durrock so I rewired it all as a continual circuit rather than the mega-branch and just fed the new wire with ground in properly.

I didn't want to do it but now that it's done it wasn't *that* bad and only took a day.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
Well - it wasn't fun but it's done. I found a few "eaten" parts of the existing wire (rats - old damage) while hanging my durrock so I rewired it all as a continual circuit rather than the mega-branch and just fed the new wire with ground in properly.

I didn't want to do it but now that it's done it wasn't *that* bad and only took a day.
you get 100 awesomeness points for doing it right the first time