Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Existing panel box labeling

My electrician replaced an old panel box. The existing labeling was not filled in completely. When he put the new box in he only labeled what was there already and and the wiring he installed. He told me according to code he doesn't have to label the rest of the box since it wasn't labeled before. He can't cite the code to reference and I can't find it either. Does anyone know what or if this is logical or just a way for him to escape having to label the whole new panel. My inspector is telling me that the panel box needs to be labeled or he will fail it. My question is whose responsibility is it? Mine to pay to have it labeled correctly or the electrician who changed to box out? Thank You.

Pete2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Electrical Contractor

408.4 States that every circuit shall be identified.

When I do a service change, I run through the house, check all circuits and label all breakers. I takes me and a helper about an hour.

Did you give him the final payment?
If you didn't let the job fail and tell the contractor to come back and complete the job.

If you did, you might be stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Depends what your contract states, you might have to do it yourself.
In NJ, final payment in not due until the final inspection has passed.

It's not that hard, turn everything on in the house, turn off the breaker and see what goes off. You can also do it room by room.

hpp58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #3

When you hired the electrician did you make it clear you wanted the panel labeled BEFORE you signed the contract? While I agree he should have labeled the panel, you should have made sure he understood that you expected him to do so.
At this point you have two options. (1) call him and ask him to return and finish the labeling or (2) do it yourself. It's a simple process and takes little time.

If you do call him, reference the article above and tell him the job will fail unless he finishes the labeling. This should be sufficient to get him back out there. Good Luck.

Note: Most electricians look at labeling as part of the panel swap. He does not sound like a very responsible electrician to me. IMO.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote