Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Existing Electrical

Hello,

I recently bought a house, and have an existing garage/shed building in our yard. It once looked like it was supplied with electricity separately by the POCO. The wires have been removed from road to building then cut, meter gone, and wiring has been removed into the panel on the opposite side of wall. The only thing that stands is the conduit entering, the weather head, and all the internal wiring. The wiring in the circuit panel (breaker panel, not fuses) looks all good, NM-B, good shape, grounded, neatly wired, and has 5 circuits. Looks like it was installed in 90's. Not that old, not brittle. Very clean. One circuit for 4-5 shoplights on the ceiling, and then various outlets spread apart. Floodlight outside, and no garage door. No 240v outlets.

I'm mostly going to be using this building for storage, and may have a little section with a TV, radio, lights, and a fan or two. No heavy loads, no A/C or heat. Since the wiring is already in place, and everything is wired correctly, is there any reason I can't put a such 12/3 SOW cord powering the panel with a plug, so I can just plug the "room" into an external outlet at the house when I am out there. Maybe I can even run NM-B 12/2 and put an "inlet" on the exterior where I can power the building via extension cord or generator so i don't have to run the cord through the door and let bugs in. Sorta like a mobile home/trailer. I can say I would probably only be using the building once a week, few times a month, but when I do, it would be nice to be able to "plug it in" to see and here some music.

I have no intention of doing much with the building, and I can't run wiring underground since there is a driveway, garden, gravel, and patio in between the shed and house. It would be a waste of money anyway since the building is mostly storage. Having a separate service restored from the street again would be a waste.

Ohno59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,094

Existing Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohno59 View Post
...is there any reason I can't put a 12/3 SOW cord powering the panel with a plug, so I can just plug the "room" into an external outlet at the house when I am out there.
The larger issue here is the extension cord across the yard.
Far too often these get left out there far too long.

Quote:
I have no intention of doing much with the building, and I can't run wiring underground since there is a driveway, garden, gravel, and patio in between the shed and house. It would be a waste of money anyway since the building is mostly storage. Having a separate service restored from the street again would be a waste.

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Existing Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
The larger issue here is the extension cord across the yard.
Far too often these get left out there far too long.
House is only 50-75ft away from garage. The cord may be out there for a few days to a week, then I will have to roll it up when I mow, and defiantly in winter when I snow blow/shovel.

Building is mostly storage. Just wanted a way to power the existing lights, and a few appliance. Figured connecting to and using existing proper wiring that is there already is safer and neater than rigging up my own power with a bundle/spiderweb of extension cords hanging everywhere running to lights and appliances when I need it.
Ohno59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,094

Existing Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohno59 View Post
House is only 50-75ft away from garage. The cord may be out there for a few days to a week, then...
Then no.
If you're not willing to roll it up EVERY time you go out there to work
then you need to find some other way to bring power into the garage.

If you can't practically go UNDERGROUND to the garage...
you should investigate going OVERHEAD from the house.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote