Existing Concrete Slab Has Electrical And Cat5 Outlet. Would Like Smaller Faceplates. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2011, 11:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Existing concrete slab has electrical and cat5 outlet. Would like smaller faceplates.

I am remodeling the office in our house and the existing concrete slab has an electrical and cat 5 outlet in it. I am getting ready to install wood floor and was initially thinking about just filling these in, but am now having second thoughts about it. The existing sunken cat 5 drop and electrical outlet are EACH housed in a 5 inch diameter sunken like cylinder that comes out of the concrete with about a 1 inch lip.

I think I would now like to keep these in the floor just in case we have a desk in that area in the future, but are there any smaller rectangular boxes I could use instead of these huge monsters?

There are two like this in the floor right next to each other. http://www.hubbell-wiring.com/Press/PDFS/HSBD001.pdf

It just seems like they take up a lot of unnecessary space.

Advertisement

noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,506

Existing concrete slab has electrical and cat5 outlet. Would like smaller faceplates.

If you are talking about the floor boxes for concrete, they make a vault specifically, in that you have the electric and the data coming out. Only thing is, they use a plastic cover on them. Is this a residential or commercial application that you are doing? This is the better solution http://www.legrand.us/wiremold/floor...floor-box.aspx

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
If you are talking about the floor boxes for concrete, they make a vault specifically, in that you have the electric and the data coming out. Only thing is, they use a plastic cover on them. Is this a residential or commercial application that you are doing? This is the better solution http://www.legrand.us/wiremold/floor...floor-box.aspx
Residential. The existing floor has **two** of those cylinder things in the concrete, one for electric, one for phone. How would I go about retrofitting the two into this single rectangular box?

Last edited by noone; 10-17-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

You can't, unless you take a jack hammer and tear up the concrete.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
You can't, unless you take a jack hammer and tear up the concrete.
Sounds like my only option then is to either fill them in or replace the covers and install the wood floor around them. They just take up so much room on the floor and will look ridiculous with a bump protruding up through the floor rug..... hmmm.... decisions decisions....

I wish I could somehow get them completely FLUSH with the wood floor. That would be nice.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

You can if you put down leveling cement.

Advertisement