Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #1

Share |

Exhaust fan on timer?

My wife and I recently moved into a new home to us, built in 2000. There is an exhaust fan in the laundry room that turns on and off on it's own, almost as if it is on a timer. The wall switch will not turn it off while it is running. It runs while the wall switch is in either the off or on position, the only way to turn it off is to position the switch in between on or off, straight out / 90 degree angle from the wall.

The remainder of the time, the fan works as should and turns off and on with the wall switch. I have also noticed that the exhaust fan in one of the upstair bathrooms comes on at the same time the fan in the laundry mysteriously turns on.

Is this normal for an exhaust vent to be on a timer or some sort of sensor?

Thanks

Last edited by Bigman610; 09-22-2008 at 10:06 PM.
Bigman610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Exhaust fan on timer?

I suspect that switch may be a 3-way switch, allowing you to switch between a timer and "constant on". Does the switch have "ON" and "OFF" stamped on the switch handle, or is it "blank"? This would likely indicate a 3 way switch. Is there a service access panel to the exhaust fan? It's possible there is a timer built-in to the fan.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #3

Exhaust fan on timer?

There is nothing stamped on the switch handle. As for the fan itself, it does not appear to have any access panel, atleast that I can see without removing the cover.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:22 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

Exhaust fan on timer?

Nothing labeled on the switch confirms the theory of a 3 way switch. Is this switch in a box all by itself? You might be able to install a single pole switch prior to the 3 way switch to make a shut off switch, or you could disconnect the wire from the 3 way switch that makes it turn on and stay on all the time. Leaving you with two switch functions: Timer activated, and Off. Or the other option would be to disconnect the timer wire, and make your switch options "ON" and "OFF" depending on the position of the wall switch.
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #5

Exhaust fan on timer?

Both are good suggestions, thank you. It's in a single gang box right now with room to cut in a two gang if I want too. Thanks again, it is appreciated.