Exhaust Fan/Light In Shower? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Exhaust Fan/Light in shower?

Is there some type of exhaust fan/light I can install in my shower. I have a header across the front of my small shower that traps the humidity in to the small area and eventually causes mold on the ceiling in the small shower area. It presently has a recessed light in it and I'm wondering if I can install some type of Exhaust fan/Light in there that won't be affected by the moisture so that the steam can be drawn out when I shower. I'm in Southeast Virginia, USA and have many Lowes and Home Depot stores. Maybe a link to a good one I can buy there? Thanx in adavance for any help.

Advertisement

MarkW65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,212

Most manufacturers list their products for such use if they are on a GFCI circuit.

Advertisement

brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:08 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thanx!
i assume my current light is on gfci but it was built in 1974. how can i find out for sure/identify gfci?
MarkW65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,022

Turn fan/light on. Go through house triggering the GFCI test button on every outlet you can find. If it goes off, then that outlet is protecting the light. If it doesn't, and the breaker that protects that circuit isn't a GFCI type then it isn't protected.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW65 View Post
i assume my current light is on gfci but it was built in 1974.
WHY would you assume this? A light alone has never been required to be on a GFI, and if your home was built in '74 there is a very real chance no GFI's were installed at all.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
WHY would you assume this? A light alone has never been required to be on a GFI, and if your home was built in '74 there is a very real chance no GFI's were installed at all.
No argument here, but an interesting anecdote: Our house was built in '70 or '71. There's at least one GFI in every room. I'm guessing that the prior occupant wanted three hole outlets and the electrician decided it would be easier to put them all behind GFIs than to pull new wires. You never can tell.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
There's at least one GFI in every room. I'm guessing that the prior occupant wanted three hole outlets and the electrician decided it would be easier to put them all behind GFIs than to pull new wires. You never can tell.
I bet it was the fact that the customer liked that it was cheaper than re-wiring with grounded wiring.
A GFI is a legal alternative to running a ground, but does not actually provide a ground. Just added safety.

Advertisement

Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote