Excessive Voltage - Electrical - Page 3 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 01:08 PM   #31
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 775
Rewards Points: 518
Default

Excessive Voltage


Don't forget that a digital multimeter with low batteries typically reads higher than actual voltage... Just throwing that out there as something to check.

Advertisement

McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #32
Remodel and New Build GC
 
MTN REMODEL LLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado @ 7651'
Posts: 2,976
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default

Excessive Voltage


Sir Sparky..... Agreee..... Are we sure that is correct analysis for a MWBC thats gone in SERIES with a lost neutral....

Very well may be exactly correct....... not saying it isn't... just still thinking if series has affected anything.

Best
__________________
Never stop learning (xcep fer speling en typeing)
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:38 PM   #33
Remodel and New Build GC
 
MTN REMODEL LLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado @ 7651'
Posts: 2,976
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default

Excessive Voltage


Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
Don't forget that a digital multimeter with low batteries typically reads higher than actual voltage... Just throwing that out there as something to check.

Steve THANKS.... never knew that.....any idea how much a low battery can effect V reading..... several volts?....10%


Best
__________________
Never stop learning (xcep fer speling en typeing)
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #34
Mad Scientist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 775
Rewards Points: 518
Default

Excessive Voltage


Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Steve THANKS.... never knew that.....any idea how much a low battery can effect V reading..... several volts?....10%


Best
I've seen mine read anywhere from 140 to 180 on a 120V circuit when the battery is low. Thought I'd mention it since the OP was saying his voltage readings where adding up to more than 240.
McSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McSteve For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #35
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Excessive Voltage


Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Amazing you and I haven't electricuted ourselves yet..... however, we do know what we don't know.... and are willing to learn
I know you guys are lucky so far but just go on the ride with us and you will learn alot more than that.

But I got electrique shock few time over the years some were not and some were pretty nasty and I got it thru the nasty part allready many years ago and I do know what voltage that one I got hit pretty hard ( Tabarnac !!!* )


Now let get back on the main point did Sirsparkalot do understand this part ?

And I am waiting to see to follow up what he done with this funky circuit yet.

Merci,
Marc

* A French cussing word ( Quebec verison )
__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (08-04-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #36
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,674
Rewards Points: 2,650
Default

Excessive Voltage


Quote:
Originally Posted by McSteve View Post
Don't forget that a digital multimeter with low batteries typically reads higher than actual voltage... Just throwing that out there as something to check.
Not my Fluke or HP....but I could see the cheaper ones doing that.

FYI....on a more serious note.....nothing wrong with checking the 'calibration' of your meter now and then.

Obviously, resistance is easy...

For DC....check the voltage of a fresh 9 V battery

For AC....check a known good service...
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Kyle_in_rure (08-03-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #37
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Indiana (USA)
Posts: 1,318
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Excessive Voltage


Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
I know you guys are lucky so far but just go on the ride with us and you will learn alot more than that.

But I got electrique shock few time over the years some were not and some were pretty nasty and I got it thru the nasty part allready many years ago and I do know what voltage that one I got hit pretty hard ( Tabarnac !!!* )


Now let get back on the main point did Sirsparkalot do understand this part ?

And I am waiting to see to follow up what he done with this funky circuit yet.
Howdy Marc. Well POCO came out and found nothing wrong on their side.

We did find 242V on Bathroom GFCI, however. So finding the open neutral in the attic is the next step. I'm quite curious about this, for the following reason/

I can't seem to get a steady voltage on this. The voltage presence is intermittent. When I first got there today, I found no voltage at all after POCO had checked and said there was 242V on the receptacle. Then, I went and shut the breakers off, then turned them back on, then shut one at a time off, and then on, and then both back on again, checking for voltage each time. Finally, I got the reading: 213v on the GFCI. It's weird that the voltage is intermittent like that.
__________________
Installation is the Reverse of Removal.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirsparksalot For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (08-04-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #38
E2 Electrician
 
stickboy1375's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 5,168
Rewards Points: 2,128
Default

Excessive Voltage


Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsparksalot View Post
Howdy Marc. Well POCO came out and found nothing wrong on their side.

We did find 242V on Bathroom GFCI, however. So finding the open neutral in the attic is the next step. I'm quite curious about this, for the following reason/

I can't seem to get a steady voltage on this. The voltage presence is intermittent. When I first got there today, I found no voltage at all after POCO had checked and said there was 242V on the receptacle. Then, I went and shut the breakers off, then turned them back on, then shut one at a time off, and then on, and then both back on again, checking for voltage each time. Finally, I got the reading: 213v on the GFCI. It's weird that the voltage is intermittent like that.
It could be intermittent because the neutral is loose, or failing... im guessing a not so good connection and is burning up somewhere.... i.e, backstabbed receptacle, poor splice, etc....
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #39
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Excessive Voltage


Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsparksalot View Post
Howdy Marc. Well POCO came out and found nothing wrong on their side.

We did find 242V on Bathroom GFCI, however. So finding the open neutral in the attic is the next step. I'm quite curious about this, for the following reason/

I can't seem to get a steady voltage on this. The voltage presence is intermittent. When I first got there today, I found no voltage at all after POCO had checked and said there was 242V on the receptacle. Then, I went and shut the breakers off, then turned them back on, then shut one at a time off, and then on, and then both back on again, checking for voltage each time. Finally, I got the reading: 213v on the GFCI. It's weird that the voltage is intermittent like that.
I figured that you read Stickboy's comment on this one and I am the same page you have intterment loose connection somewhere along that circuit so check each one as you work it way out from panel.

I think you may hit a intermment cross connection which it can spike the voltage up 242 volts ( if that is true your GFCI will smoked out so smell if burnted allready .)

Bon Chance.

Merci,
Marc
__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #40
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Indiana (USA)
Posts: 1,318
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Excessive Voltage


Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
A open/bad neutral conductor on a MWBC has no effect on the main service.
Found the culprit, untwisted and loose neutrals at the kitchen light (first hit from the panel). Also replaced four single pole breakers with 2 doubles.

Stick, I don't know, but after correcting the loose neutral, all voltage went back to normal.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and help.
__________________
Installation is the Reverse of Removal.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #41
Remodel and New Build GC
 
MTN REMODEL LLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Colorado @ 7651'
Posts: 2,976
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default

Excessive Voltage


Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsparksalot View Post
Found the culprit, untwisted and loose neutrals at the kitchen light (first hit from the panel). Also replaced four single pole breakers with 2 doubles.

Stick, I don't know, but after correcting the loose neutral, all voltage went back to normal.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and help.
Sir Sparky.....

Do you figure your 135V reading at your main service was maybe just a bad DVM reading?????

Best
__________________
Never stop learning (xcep fer speling en typeing)
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTN REMODEL LLC For This Useful Post:
sirsparksalot (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #42
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Indiana (USA)
Posts: 1,318
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Excessive Voltage


Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Sir Sparky.....

Do you figure your 135V reading at your main service was maybe just a bad DVM reading?????

Best
Well, I guess that's possible. I now recall that I did replace the 9V before rechecking.
__________________
Installation is the Reverse of Removal.
sirsparksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sirsparksalot For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #43
Electrical Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 725
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Excessive Voltage


Glad you figured it out
Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle_in_rure For This Useful Post:
sirsparksalot (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #44
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 7,674
Rewards Points: 2,650
Default

Excessive Voltage


I just love a happy ending to a story.....and thanks for the update....

Beer for everyone.....sirsprak is buying....
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
sirsparksalot (08-06-2013)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #45
" Euro " electrician
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI & France { in France for now }
Posts: 5,369
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Excessive Voltage


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I just love a happy ending to a story.....and thanks for the update....

Beer for everyone.....sirsprak is buying....

What kind of beer ??

Merci,
Marc

Advertisement

__________________
The answer will be based on NEC ( National Electrical code ) or CEC ( Cananda Electrical code ) or ECF ( Electrique Code France )
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low voltage interior wiring systems WillK Electrical 0 01-03-2011 09:14 PM
Phantom voltage -- I'm completely stumped kb01 Electrical 2 12-24-2010 07:44 PM
190 185 voltage ? PIGEONS Electrical 10 12-21-2010 12:45 PM
Low Voltage Post Light b_corwin Landscaping & Lawn Care 1 10-16-2009 10:20 PM
New recessed lighting: Line Voltage vs. low voltage hyunelan2 Electrical 0 10-12-2009 01:25 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts