Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Energy Efficient Recessed Housings

I am planning on installing low-wattage 5-inch recessed housings in several rooms of my house. LED housings are too darn expensive, so I believe my only option is CFL housings. The majority of 5-inch CFL housings (Halo, Juno, etc.) I've seen are anywhere from 13-26 watts and use 4-pin (G24 or GX24) sockets. They are called "vertical CFL housings".

I am a bit turned off (no pun intended) by the look of the bulbs....the 4-pin bulbs are long and tubular (see below).

Does anyone know if there are other styles of 4-pin CFL bulbs available (e.g., something that looks like a flood bulb)? If not, can someone post a pic of how the tubular bulbs look after they are installed (with trim/baffle)?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

chewbakarox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,166

Can't help with a pic, but those style are in many commercial building.

There are retrofit LED trim kits available for regular incandescent socket housings. You could wait for the price to drop and then switch over. Right now they are about $90.

You could use CFLs in the incandescent socket models.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
Can't help with a pic, but those style are in many commercial building.

There are retrofit LED trim kits available for regular incandescent socket housings. You could wait for the price to drop and then switch over. Right now they are about $90.

You could use CFLs in the incandescent socket models.
Jim - Thanks for the input. However, I really need low-wattage housings (not bulbs). I will be tapping a circuit that is nearing capacity and need to keep the load down (i.e., I need the max wattage of each can to be as low as possible).

To my knowledge, you can't get Edison-style housings that are anywhere near as low in wattage as an LED/CFL housing. Although, if someone can point me to one I'd be incredibly grateful!
Old 09-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #4
Sparky

Rewards Points: 500

http://www.amazon.com/Halco-109382-F.../dp/B002TWGSF8
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,282

Look for GU24 bases.....

With the advent of 'effecient' lighting we are flooded with CFL's using the Edison (screw in base). Here in California, any fixture with the Edison base does not meet the high effeciency standard.

GU24 is a 2 pin base that I think is much better than the 4 pin bulbs you are looking at. One of the issues with what you referenced is that it is fluorescent only...and the balast is in the fixture. With GU24, you take the standard CFL...remove the edison base, replace it with the GU24 base and you now have a CFL that will plug in...and it's shorter....even better is the fact that you can also get LED lights with the GU24 base.

The choices of CFL's with the GU24 is pretted limited right now....all the big box stores are stocking the Edison type CFL but a quick check online will give you plenty of choices....and the prices are pretty much the same as a standard CFL.

One other thing....I believe Halo makes an adapter to change a Edison can to a GU24 base.

My advice...get cans with the GU24 base.....that will give you plenty of options for many years to come.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Look for GU24 bases.....

With the advent of 'effecient' lighting we are flooded with CFL's using the Edison (screw in base). Here in California, any fixture with the Edison base does not meet the high effeciency standard.

GU24 is a 2 pin base that I think is much better than the 4 pin bulbs you are looking at. One of the issues with what you referenced is that it is fluorescent only...and the balast is in the fixture. With GU24, you take the standard CFL...remove the edison base, replace it with the GU24 base and you now have a CFL that will plug in...and it's shorter....even better is the fact that you can also get LED lights with the GU24 base.

The choices of CFL's with the GU24 is pretted limited right now....all the big box stores are stocking the Edison type CFL but a quick check online will give you plenty of choices....and the prices are pretty much the same as a standard CFL.

One other thing....I believe Halo makes an adapter to change a Edison can to a GU24 base.

My advice...get cans with the GU24 base.....that will give you plenty of options for many years to come.
This is great info. I had seen info on GU24 sockets but couldn't find any housings, so I think an adapter would work perfect. I did some research and found this:

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/54365/SOCK-D3560.html

This would work great since I could install incandescent/Edison cans and the adapter would be permanent. That way, if I were to sell my house, the buyers wouldn't be able to install incandescents and overload the circuit. I guess my only concern about this adapter is that it would effectively make the bulb a bit "longer" (hang lower). Thoughts?

Thanks again for the insight!
Old 09-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,282

chewbaka....you don't want to use that.....it does not stop someone from removing that and putting in an incandescent.....

here is a better option....

http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com...et-3-wire.aspx

This option gives you more room so the bulb will not stick down below the rim of the fixture.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
chewbaka....you don't want to use that.....it does not stop someone from removing that and putting in an incandescent.....

here is a better option....

http://www.greenelectricalsupply.com...et-3-wire.aspx

This option gives you more room so the bulb will not stick down below the rim of the fixture.
Thanks....so you're saying that someone can remove the adapter, despite the link saying it cannot be removed once it's screwed on?

I do agree, however, that your suggestion may end working better anyways since it would provide better bulb fitment.