Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 147
Share |
Default

Energized pink insulation


Hope someone has an answer to this strange situation....

First off im remodeling my washroom, gutted it and i also found out i have to fix my flooring. To the point, the wiring is all wrong and i was going to work on it. Tonight i was using a reciprocal saw to cut a 2x6 against the wall, i got a little jolt in my arms and legs. At this point i couldnt see any wires at all, so i grabed my little tester, its the one that beeps and blinks red when your close to a wire, and to my suprise, all my insulation is energized.

At first i though i must of breathed in too much dust or something, so i tried my meter on top of the vapor against the insulation and nothing, then once i go under the vapor plastic, it beeps.

At this point i pull out 3/4 strip from the wall and to my suprise, the insulation that is abotu 4 feet from the wall but still have a foot in the wall is still giving me voltage reading. Now i know those little meters arent always acurate, but after i touched the insulation on the floor and a ground, i got a shock again.

What is going on here, can pink insulation cary a little charge? maybe it has a little humidity in it?

The wires in the wall are 14-2 but none of the grounds arent connected and there is no junction boxs, they just twisted, caped, then tapped. I know this is wrong and that was my next step after i fix the floor.

Any ideas?

simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:02 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 886
Default

Energized pink insulation


weird, glass does not conduct/ binder is phenolic resin/ then asphalt mastic to adhere to kraft paper jacket for standard Batt insul ... Pink is OC not sure how they get the pink. Maybe RED DYE #5. might cause cancer ... support conduction? Plastic? poor conductor.

Never cut what you can not see.

Just like your momma told you... if you play with it to much, it will fall off.

let us know how this solves.


Last edited by Big Bob; 08-30-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 147
Default

Energized pink insulation


Today after work im going to dive in to the wiring. I think there is a short somewhere and its giving the insulation a little current, this is the reason the current tester doesnt work on top of the vapor plastic only under when its touching insulation directly.

The main 14-2 wire comes up in the wall and like i said, it doesnt have a proper junction box, the wires are just tied, caped, then taped, with the ground wires just wrapped around its own 14-2. Im going to unplg everything and just cap my live wire, turning the breaker off first, then testing the insulation again. At this point im hoping that i dont have the problem, since i took all the wires off.

From this point on im going to add 1 wire at a time to determine which one is causing this weird problem. Then once i find it i can address it and also seewhere is the problem with it. I dont want just to fix this problem, id like to actually find where its causing the insulation to energize.
simonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Member
 
joed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 7,445
Default

Energized pink insulation


Pink insulation can not carry any current unless it is wet or has a foil vapour barrier.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:27 PM   #5
Contractor in PA
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SE PA
Posts: 43
Default

Energized pink insulation


This is a new one on me. I have laid in insulation 1000s of time and worked with hot wires without a shock. If it is blown-in insulation, there is nothing that can conduct the current. If it is from a roll with foil barrier, the foil could conduct.

The tester you are using probably work by means of capacitance and as such can give false readings. I have one that will chirp when I wave it through the air. My guess, you hit a wire with your sawzall or a wire is pinched by a staple.

Let us know how you make out.
michaelpwalton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cape Cod Style House Attic/Crawl Space Insulation Help Danielg Insulation 24 05-21-2012 08:20 AM
basement insulation and vapour barrier coolnes Remodeling 11 02-01-2009 08:56 AM
Rigid insulation question Endeavor General DIY Discussions 2 07-17-2007 10:27 AM
dormer window insulation wlm-21 Building & Construction 2 02-13-2007 04:04 PM
Installing new insulation in my basement and removing the old moldy insulation. Fixitgeorge Remodeling 3 10-17-2006 08:33 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.