Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

EMT in pole building

I know just enough about wiring to be dangerous so keep that in mind when you answer.

1. When running emt along the the purlins, girts, poles and joists, is there a prefered side, top or bottom of the structure to mount the emt? Are there any prohibited mounting areas?

2. Same question for the various boxes?

3. There is a 1.5 inch space between the structure and the metal walls. Can the emt run through those spaces and against the metal?

4. Are there any publications that you would recommend that show examples of such installations?

Thanks in advance, borderbuster

borderbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #2

EMT in pole building

EMT can be run most anywhere. Inside and outside. Special couplings and connectors are required for outside use. Yes you can run it between the outside walls and the structural members, but you have to be able to strap/clamp it every 10 feet. I strap it at every opportunity unless it is overkill. They make all kinds of clamps/straps that might fit your application. Take a look at "EMT Fittings & Clamps/Straps" for the correct type for your job.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:57 AM   #3
Electrician

EMT in pole building

J.V. has a good answer. Keep in mind your bending skills as to where you want the conduit and the clamp/retainers you want to use.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #4

EMT in pole building

Thanks for replying. I recently acquired a ton of conduit supplies and equipment for almost nothing so I figured I might as well get some use out of it. Pretty much only thing I will have to buy is the wire and a few boxes.

I can't seem to find very much reference material on conduit installations which address the practical installation although there is a lot of stuff about the technical installation.

borderbuster
Old 11-13-2008, 12:06 PM   #5

EMT in pole building

What size conduit are you planning to use. Go and get a good bender for that size. I like Ideal, without the level bubble. I think we used to call them 'Star" benders back in the day. All steel.

If you have never bent conduit before, you will need some practice and some reference material. Most of us got our experience on the job. I bent EMT conduit for 8 hours a day for 10 years. It is very satisfying. Unfortunately you will probably waste more than you use at first. Once you get the hang of it, you will waste very little and the work becomes a thing of beauty. IMO of course.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 AM   #6

EMT in pole building

J.V.
Along with about several hundred feet of various sized emt, rigid, aluminum and plastic, couple thousand fittings, I also got several benders and hickeys.
The service entrance panel is already installed so the big stuff is already in. I will be using 1/2, 3/4, 1, and probably some short runs of 1 1/4 or 1 1/2. I have been around enough commercial construction that I know the conduit can never be too big or straight enough to satisfy the guys pulling wire.
I have a couple of instruction manuals on bending, and have practiced a few bends, offsets and saddles and believe I shouldn't have too much trouble. My measurements and alignments look pretty good so far.
The design and routing of the conduit runs are another matter, I want this to look good as well as being functional and safe. The only thing I have for reference are other pole barns in the area and the wiring jobs in most of them leave a lot to be desired even though they probably are to code(inspected and passed anyway).
My ace in the hole: I have a brother in law that was an electrician a few years ago, and he owes me, so if I get in over my head, I'm calling him up.

borderbuster
Old 11-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #7

EMT in pole building

You will not get over your head. If you bend a piece wrong "chuck it" and bend a new piece. Conduit in residential has its challenges. One bit of advice I can give you is try to run your wall conduits vertical, not horizontal. It's hard to leave and enter boxes that are screwed to the studs. If you can go up and over, then back down again is much easier. You will use more pipe and wire though. Try not to use any saddles. They hard to pull wire through. Use kicks every where you can instead of offsets. Offset's add up real quick. Fewer bends make the conduit that is exposed look much better, like in attics, crawl spaces and basements.

Every time you are in a big store like Costco, HD, Lowes ect...Take a look at the conduit runs. Usually a good example to follow. Before long you will be able to tell a great pipe job from a so so job. have fun.....John
Old 11-14-2008, 07:47 PM   #8

EMT in pole building

J.V.
good advice and I will use it. Just before it is ready for wire I will post a picture or two. Thanks again.
borderbuster
Old 11-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #9

EMT in pole building

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderbuster View Post
J.V.
good advice and I will use it. Just before it is ready for wire I will post a picture or two. Thanks again.
borderbuster
Look forward to the pictures.