Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
DIYer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 910
Share |
Default

EMT Ends: Bushing needed?


Hi all,

My boss helped me install some outlets on a new circuit in my basement a few years back. He's a traditionalist and got me to use EMT instead of the blue plastic stuff. These are exposed outlets mounted on bare concrete walls.

My concern is at the top of the EMT where the romex exits the EMT to continue the circuit in the floor joists. Should this raw romex/EMT edge have an insulated bushing? If so, is it code required or just a good idea? I didn't see EMT insulating bushings at my home improvement store when I looked quickly.

I can take pictures if none of this makes sense.

Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga/Hamilton, Al
Posts: 1,813
Default

EMT Ends: Bushing needed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
Hi all,

My boss helped me install some outlets on a new circuit in my basement a few years back. He's a traditionalist and got me to use EMT instead of the blue plastic stuff. These are exposed outlets mounted on bare concrete walls.

My concern is at the top of the EMT where the romex exits the EMT to continue the circuit in the floor joists. Should this raw romex/EMT edge have an insulated bushing? If so, is it code required or just a good idea? I didn't see EMT insulating bushings at my home improvement store when I looked quickly.

I can take pictures if none of this makes sense.
Ideally, when changing over from romex to EMT, the pipe would terminate into a junction box, or at least a connector, which you would screw a coupler on, then screw in a romex clamp. Then, the romex would be stripped the length that it runs in the pipe.

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
DIY'er
 
jamiedolan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 2,032
Blog Entries: 2
Default

EMT Ends: Bushing needed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by InPhase277 View Post
Ideally, when changing over from romex to EMT, the pipe would terminate into a junction box, or at least a connector, which you would screw a coupler on, then screw in a romex clamp. Then, the romex would be stripped the length that it runs in the pipe.
But this would put the box inside the basement ceiling if the ceiling is finished.

Can't bury the junction box...

??????????????

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,294
Default

EMT Ends: Bushing needed?


Quote:
I didn't see EMT insulating bushings at my home improvement store when I looked quickly.
Put an (edit) insulated throat connector on the end.

Aren't they all insulated throats these days??

Last edited by 220/221; 10-26-2008 at 06:54 PM.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Electrician
 
SD515's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Near Jackson Michigan Area
Posts: 1,450
Default

EMT Ends: Bushing needed?


Gigs, your question of whether it's code required to have a bushing is yes.

InPhase's idea is nice, but most of time I use a EMT connector with a plastic bushing screwed on, and secure the cable within 12". Less work and material. Stripping of the sheath is no longer permissible. The sheath has to be complete in the conduit and extend into the box at least 1/4". {334.15 (C) Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces}.

Jamie...can't bury the box behind drywall, but you can have the box above a drop ceiling.
__________________
Kyle

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,514
Default

EMT Ends: Bushing needed?


These are suitable for use with NM also.

http://aifittings.com/b_1.htm
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
My License Ain't 4 Sale..
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Atlanta, Ga/Hamilton, Al
Posts: 1,813
Default

EMT Ends: Bushing needed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
These are suitable for use with NM also.

http://aifittings.com/b_1.htm
I believe the OP said they couldn't be located at the local home supply. I personally don't like the idea of running romex into the pipe in this manner, unless the pipe is only a sleeve between floors. But terminating into a device box... I wouldn't do it.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 84
Default

EMT Ends: Bushing needed?


You could also use a combination coupling which is specifically designed to transition from EMT to Romex. I wouldn't bet my last dollar that the big box stores carry these, however.
Matsukaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,543
Default

EMT Ends: Bushing needed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsukaze View Post
You could also use a combination coupling which is specifically designed to transition from EMT to Romex. I wouldn't bet my last dollar that the big box stores carry these, however.
I just picked up some of these for some romex running down a concrete wall, they work great.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:07 PM   #10
DIYer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Virginia
Posts: 910
Default

EMT Ends: Bushing needed?


Thanks for the information guys.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,503
Default

EMT Ends: Bushing needed?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Matsukaze View Post
You could also use a combination coupling which is specifically designed to transition from EMT to Romex. I wouldn't bet my last dollar that the big box stores carry these, however.
Yep, both of them carry this item.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Size of whole house fan needed Doug Crf General DIY Discussions 20 02-25-2011 11:29 PM
Wire Needed for GF / Arc Fault breaker jamiedolan Electrical 13 09-20-2009 08:15 AM
understanding prewire in remodel help needed cmcgraw Electrical 13 09-20-2008 04:19 AM
Help...advice needed citadel Roofing/Siding 3 08-01-2008 11:38 PM
Trimming hardwood floor ends... kemerick Flooring 1 12-27-2007 03:48 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.