DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Electrical (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/)
-   -   EMT Ends: Bushing needed? (http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/emt-ends-bushing-needed-30699/)

Gigs 10-26-2008 06:31 PM

EMT Ends: Bushing needed?
 
Hi all,

My boss helped me install some outlets on a new circuit in my basement a few years back. He's a traditionalist and got me to use EMT instead of the blue plastic stuff. These are exposed outlets mounted on bare concrete walls.

My concern is at the top of the EMT where the romex exits the EMT to continue the circuit in the floor joists. Should this raw romex/EMT edge have an insulated bushing? If so, is it code required or just a good idea? I didn't see EMT insulating bushings at my home improvement store when I looked quickly.

I can take pictures if none of this makes sense.

InPhase277 10-26-2008 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigs (Post 177122)
Hi all,

My boss helped me install some outlets on a new circuit in my basement a few years back. He's a traditionalist and got me to use EMT instead of the blue plastic stuff. These are exposed outlets mounted on bare concrete walls.

My concern is at the top of the EMT where the romex exits the EMT to continue the circuit in the floor joists. Should this raw romex/EMT edge have an insulated bushing? If so, is it code required or just a good idea? I didn't see EMT insulating bushings at my home improvement store when I looked quickly.

I can take pictures if none of this makes sense.

Ideally, when changing over from romex to EMT, the pipe would terminate into a junction box, or at least a connector, which you would screw a coupler on, then screw in a romex clamp. Then, the romex would be stripped the length that it runs in the pipe.

jamiedolan 10-26-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InPhase277 (Post 177145)
Ideally, when changing over from romex to EMT, the pipe would terminate into a junction box, or at least a connector, which you would screw a coupler on, then screw in a romex clamp. Then, the romex would be stripped the length that it runs in the pipe.

But this would put the box inside the basement ceiling if the ceiling is finished.

Can't bury the junction box...

??????????????

Jamie

220/221 10-26-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

I didn't see EMT insulating bushings at my home improvement store when I looked quickly.

Put an (edit) insulated throat connector on the end.:jester:

Aren't they all insulated throats these days??

SD515 10-26-2008 07:46 PM

Gigs, your question of whether it's code required to have a bushing is yes.

InPhase's idea is nice, but most of time I use a EMT connector with a plastic bushing screwed on, and secure the cable within 12". Less work and material. Stripping of the sheath is no longer permissible. The sheath has to be complete in the conduit and extend into the box at least 1/4". {334.15 (C) Unfinished Basements and Crawl Spaces}.

Jamie...can't bury the box behind drywall, but you can have the box above a drop ceiling.

Jim Port 10-26-2008 08:26 PM

These are suitable for use with NM also.

http://aifittings.com/b_1.htm

InPhase277 10-26-2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Port (Post 177187)
These are suitable for use with NM also.

http://aifittings.com/b_1.htm

I believe the OP said they couldn't be located at the local home supply. I personally don't like the idea of running romex into the pipe in this manner, unless the pipe is only a sleeve between floors. But terminating into a device box... I wouldn't do it.:no:

Matsukaze 10-26-2008 09:00 PM

You could also use a combination coupling which is specifically designed to transition from EMT to Romex. I wouldn't bet my last dollar that the big box stores carry these, however.

rgsgww 10-26-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsukaze (Post 177209)
You could also use a combination coupling which is specifically designed to transition from EMT to Romex. I wouldn't bet my last dollar that the big box stores carry these, however.

I just picked up some of these for some romex running down a concrete wall, they work great.

Gigs 10-26-2008 11:07 PM

Thanks for the information guys.

J. V. 10-27-2008 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsukaze (Post 177209)
You could also use a combination coupling which is specifically designed to transition from EMT to Romex. I wouldn't bet my last dollar that the big box stores carry these, however.

Yep, both of them carry this item.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 PM.