Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Empty Sockets in Multi Fixtures

When I was growing up my dad always told me "don't leave empty sockets in light fixtures because it's a fire hazard; bugs crawl in and burn up." I feel like that's a rather strange claim but have been doing it ever since.

I was changing some lights today (in big opaque globes) and I wondered if I could just install one of the two in each globe. 23W CFL is plenty for the area. Now my question, do I need to leave the burned out bulbs in there or can I take them for recycling leaving the sockets open.

michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,224

I would just put in the bulbs, then install a dimmer if you do not wish to have the full lighting of 60watts x how many sockets, or just go with lower wattage bulbs. As for recycling, who does that with bulbs? I recycle them into the garbage can.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I mean, I know what you are saying, but having burnt out bulb can short out and trip the breaker too. Fire wise...I mean, how long and how hot is a dead bug going to burn? Long, and hot enough to ignite a plastic socket rated to have a bare light bulb very close to it? Doubt it. I would be more worried about exposing yourself to live parts.

Truth be told, I have unused sockets thruout my house.
k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 168

Honestly, I'd probably just leave the sockets open. I've seen June bugs get into sockets before, and all it does is smoke and smell awful. The only exceptions might be when (1) the socket faces up and it isn't enclosed, or (2) it's where children can stick their fingers in it.

If you could find some of the old socket adaptors that let you plug a 2-prong plug in, you could screw those in. Or get some 15A Edison base fuses and intentionally blow them.
fa_f3_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

The problem with the dimmers is that they can't be used on most CFL bulbs. I guess what I could do is install smaller CFL bulbs, and just install both. I think I agree with k_buz, ceramic sockets are not going to catch fire when a curious ladybug crawls in.
michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,132

If you really think you need to plug the hole:

Then: