Elster Type R28 Revenue Meter... How To Read? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Elster type R28 revenue meter... How to read?

Does anyone know how to interpret the display of this meter?

I've been trying to figure out my peak demand.

The power meter is a "Time-Of-Use" meter and the digital display cycles through total KWH and (according to the Elster website) "demand".

Can I assume that this is "peak" demand? (With the old meter one needle measured the demand at any given time and pushed a second needle which would stick at it whatever was the peak demand, until it was reset. The utility charged for both monthly KWH and peak demand. Today they only charge for the KWH so I do not know what my peak demand is).

In any case, the information displayed by this meter when it is displaying "demand" is "3r 1325".

So how much is "3r 1325"?

Over the past few months my maximum usage (in kilowatt hours) was 6.2.

Advertisement

apartment_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The avg. US house takes a kW of power so this would be ~720 kWh of energy per month. Peak power demand is 200A x 240v?

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
The avg. US house takes a kW of power so this would be ~720 kWh of energy per month. Peak power demand is 200A x 240v?
What
Old 05-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm a bit stupid.

In any case, it occurs to me that "demand" can refer to the peak instantanious demand, or the peak hourly demand, or the demand at the time that the meter is being read.

I don't care about the latter, and I already know my hourly demand, but was hoping that the meter would tell me the peak instantanious demand (which is what the second needle on the old meter would tell me).

It's a question of how to convert "3r 1325" into KW...

(As an aside, my monthly usage varies from 1,800 KW to 2,100 KW per month).
Old 05-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Quote:
Originally Posted by apartment_guy View Post

(As an aside, my monthly usage varies from 1,800 KW to 2,100 KW per month).
My average is 523.33333 for the past six months. If yours is 1800-2100 you have something wrong going on, or one of those that leave the lights on all of the time, along with the home theater & tvs.

As for determining the reading, check the website of the utility for instructions, or contact them on Tuesday when they open back up. They should have give you some kind of instructions to tell you how to read the meter.

http://www.elstersolutions.com/en/customer_support.html
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 05-28-2012 at 05:33 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
My average is 523.33333 for the past six months. If yours is 1800-2100 you have something wrong going on, or one of those that leave the lights on all of the time, along with the home theater & tvs.

As for determining the reading, check the website of the utility for instructions, or contact them on Tuesday when they open back up. They should have give you some kind of instructions to tell you how to read the meter.

http://www.elstersolutions.com/en/customer_support.html
Yikes!

523.33333 per month???

My question refers to a 12-unit multi-unit rental, so 1,800 to 2,100 KWH works out to 150 KWH to 175 KWH per unit, per month.

But thanks for your reply.

At my own home my wife handles the finances and pays the bills (mostly with my money, of course.), She is a potter and has an electric kiln, so I have no idea what our consumption is (nor do I want to know).

I have another thread going here regarding my concerns with this property, and it was not my intention to double-post... so apologies if I have broken any rules. But this thread was more about the interpretation of a meter's display rather than whether my building was going to burn down tomorrow.

I might try to call the utility, but it's a huge corporation so trying to find someone who can answer the question would be daunting.

I also considering contacting the Elster, but given that their customers are utilities spending $$$ millions, and given that I've no plans to buy any of their stuff in the near future, I would be surprised it they would respond. But what the heck, it's worth a try.

Last edited by apartment_guy; 05-28-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Yes, 523.33 kwh per month is my average. Something wrong with that.

If your question refers to a 12 unit apartment building, you need to state that info when you post something. Not leaving out pertinent information for others that may not know that. For all I and everyone else knows, you could be talking about personal use for a single person or couple, not a whole building.

What you could do, is go through the link that I posted and try to find out, or easier call them on Tuesday. Regardless how large you think that they are, you pay them so that you have power, they installed the unit, so they would be able to answer your questions.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Yes, 523.33 kwh per month is my average. Something wrong with that.

If your question refers to a 12 unit apartment building, you need to state that info when you post something. Not leaving out pertinent information for others that may not know that. For all I and everyone else knows, you could be talking about personal use for a single person or couple, not a whole building.

What you could do, is go through the link that I posted and try to find out, or easier call them on Tuesday. Regardless how large you think that they are, you pay them so that you have power, they installed the unit, so they would be able to answer your questions.
Thanks, and apologies if I offended.

I did not describe my particular situation insofar as I have posted elsewhere on the forum concerning my anxiety about this property.

This thread was intended to attract the intention of someone who might be familiar with this specific make and model of meter.

When it appeared that there was no one who was familiar with this particular make and model of meter I tossed in some data regarding consumption so that those who might be familiar with similar meters could make an educated guess as to what "3r 1325" (or whatever the number was) meant.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

You did this search, right. . .?
http://www.google.com/search?client=...w=1093&bih=741

Also,
"Decimal Point. R stands for Decimal Point. 1 R Acronym - Acronyms"

Last edited by Yoyizit; 05-30-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #10

Quote:
You did this search, right. . .?
http://www.google.com/search?client=...w=1093&bih=741

Also,
"Decimal Point. R stands for Decimal Point. 1 R Acronym - Acronyms"

Thanks for that.

I had done a Google search, but using somewhat different terms.

I seem to recall that it was early afternoon when I took that reading... it might have been 1:25 PM.

One of the sites which your search led me to indicates that the meter is displaying the time of day (13:25).

Whoops
Old 05-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by apartment_guy View Post
Thanks for that.

I had done a Google search, but using somewhat different terms.

I seem to recall that it was early afternoon when I took that reading... it might have been 1:25 PM.

One of the sites which your search led me to indicates that the meter is displaying the time of day (13:25).

Whoops
It might be

Advertisement

DaveMaster is offline   Reply With Quote