Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |

Electronically Challenged - Motion Sensor Install

Hi Folks! Yes, I am a noob but not to user forums. I'm more of a classic BMW enthusiast and yet I still know squat about wiring. Here's my situation. My garage has no existing motion-sensor light and I want to install one due to our SUV getting ransacked recently. I have installed one before, but that was a long time ago and I had immediate access to a light-switch. This time I don't have that option. I only have reasonable access to a power outlet about three feet from the garage door. Can I still wire this in there? OR! Better yet. Can I replace that socket with one that has a socket AND a light switch combined? I don't know if they even make those, but it was a thought. That way I'd have a way to hardwire in my motion sensor light and still have a socket there for my workbench. If that IS an option, how hard is that to switch out?

Thanks for yout input!

~David

Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

Yes, they do make such a thing. But why not just add another box with a switch for the light? Wire it from the outlet to the switch and then on to the light.

Where are you located?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Maybe I am not grasping the depth of your prevention scheme. Didn't the vehicle have an alarm system? If it did and it screamed, lights blinked, and nobody came what do you expect to gain by adding a motion sensor to the situation.

And you are saying there are no outside lights near your garage or driveway at all. Strikes me as weird.

Last edited by user1007; 10-01-2012 at 03:29 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Maybe I am not grasping the depth of your prevention scheme. Didn't the vehicle have an alarm system? If it did and it screamed, lights blinked, and nobody came what do you expect to gain by adding a motion sensor to the situation.

And you are saying there are no outside lights near your garage or driveway at all. Strikes me as weird.
No lights in tyhe driveway. I have no porch fixture either. Weird huh? The only light is on a 6ft pole near the porch and it takes a 60W energy efficient bulb. This is a relatively new neighborhood to us. Close to an elementary school and so LOTS of houses all around us. But we didn't have the Durango locked or the alarm set. They got the neighbors van as well. Didn't take anything but just ransacked. Looking for cash I guess or things to sell. If a light had been on, they would've most likely gone somewhere else. Neighbor next door had no light on either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrclen View Post
Yes, they do make such a thing. But why not just add another box with a switch for the light? Wire it from the outlet to the switch and then on to the light.

Where are you located?

I could try that. I am in Springfield, MO
I DO have to be careful. Our house is a rental. We have a very cool landlord whom we get along GREAT with. He even let us wire in a 220 for a hut tub we bought last year with no problems. I paid a friend $100 to wire it all up after I bought all the parts needed.

Last edited by Bimmer; 10-01-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Is the wiring in conduit or just cable now. I would follow the same method and add the switch and the light fixture.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If the vehicles had alarms they might not have stayed around long enough to do the damage they did. Or will do again if you do not change things.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:29 AM   #7

Maybe the garage door should install the wireless motion sensors, the wireless sensors are easy to install.

pacowilson is offline   Reply With Quote