Electronic Timer Switch Hookup - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electronic Timer Switch Hookup

I bought a Panasonic FV-13VKS3 vent fan. The fan is designed to run continuously at a preset lower level (e.g. 50CFM) that can then be elevated to its max level (130CFM) when switched on. When switched off, the fan has its own built-in, adjustable countdown timer that returns the fan back to the low setting.

What I would like to do is use a Leviton LTB30-1LZ to control the high fan level. For example, I would set the fan's built-in timer to 5 minutes. And when I switch on the LTB30 for 30 minutes, the fan will kick in to high mode for 30 minutes, then the LTB30 turns off and triggers the fan's built-in timer for an additional 5 minutes before returning to the low setting.

My question is, is this possible and how would I wire this?

Looking at the fan's wiring diagram, I think the two red wires from the fan would be used to switch the fan's built-in timer. But I'm unsure where to connect these two red wires onto the Leviton timer.

Advertisement

pmpj218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

I don't think that timer will work. The timer needs 120 v and neutral to run. When active, that same 120 is passed out on the red wire to the controlled device.
You need a something to "short" the two red fan wires together.

Advertisement

a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the clarification. Do you know of any timer switch that would be able to accomplish what I described (that looks similar)?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

This is possible if you add a relay. You'll need a neutral at the box where the timer switch is located. The switch can then be used to operate a relay that will connect the two red wires. The relay could be at either the fan location or the switch location, depending on how you wire it, but you'll need to have enough room in the box for the relay.
thadsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip about the relay. Does the following diagram make sense? Also, I haven't worked with relays much, just dabbled a bit with automotive ones a long time ago. So, what kind of relay should I be looking for in this application? I'm guessing a 110volt, 20amp, SPST? If someone could provide a link to one you think would work, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Electronic Timer Switch Hookup-fan.jpg  

Last edited by pmpj218; 04-17-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: removed image
Old 04-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

You need a white line between the relay and neutral. The voltage between the load and neutral will energize the relay coil, causing it to close the switch between the two red wires.

You are right about needing a 120VAC SPST relay. A normally open (NO) one is required.

Let me preface this by saying that I am not an electrician or code expert. I belive the relay only needs to be rated to switch the load it is connected to. Because the red wires are labeled signal, I suspect there will be very little current. However, you can be safe by using a relay rated for more than the rated current draw of the fan. 20 amps is probably a lot more than that.
thadsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #7

Thanks, that all makes sense. I'll pickup and relay and report back the results once I get it wired up.

Advertisement