Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:11 AM   #1

Share |

Electrified sub panel

Hello all, I recently installed a sub panel(only 3 circuits are being used at this time. out of 6). I only have 3 wires running from main panel.H,N,G- The hot is run to the hot lug,then I have another indepentant wire from that lug to the opposite lug to bridge the two. The neutral wire is run to the neutral lug, and the ground is run to the ground bar. Then all corresponding wires from different circuits are hooked to the buses.
My light are flickering occassionally, so I went to troubleshoot the wiring. I found out that the cas itself is electrified when the breakers are turned on. (even one). It is not electrified when all breakers are off, with power running from the main on. I have done troubleshooting to my knowledge(between beginner to intermediate). Can it be that the box isnt grounded?, a wire got crossed somewhere? I checked the slicing boxes and everything "seems" ok.but, I am definetly missing something. I cant figure it out. HELP!
Thank you for your time!-Ron
rsclark67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #2

Electrified sub panel

The case is HOT???? Not good. How are you measuring this???

Yes, the subpanel case should have an earth ground, connected to the ground buss. The neutral buss should be floating, not connected to the case.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #3

Electrified sub panel

"The hot is run to the hot lug,then I have another indepentant wire from that lug to the opposite lug to bridge the two."

I don't understand what you are bridging with "another indepentant (sic) wire"?
Can you post a picture of the box?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
I=E/R

Electrified sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
"The hot is run to the hot lug,then I have another indepentant wire from that lug to the opposite lug to bridge the two."

I don't understand what you are bridging with "another indepentant (sic) wire"?
Can you post a picture of the box?
He's bridging the left and right bus bar
On this incorrectly installed sub panel, are the ground bus and neutral bus separate? Is the bonding screw installed?
You really need to start over....
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 AM   #5

Electrified sub panel

That's what I thought it meant; so he's got two busbars running off of one phase?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Electrified sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
That's what I thought it meant; so he's got two busbars running off of one phase?
That would mean that there is only 120 on this sub. Mine is like that in my garage, so that we can disconnect the receptacles or lights if needed, but still have power. In my case, it was a "temp" fix until four wire could get buried, because the previous home owner put #14 NM in the ground.

I am going to guess that there is some mis-wiring in the OP feed on the other end, which means that there may be a double pole breaker, and not necessarily a single pole feeding their's.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #7

Electrified sub panel

The ground bar and neutral bar are seperate with bonding screw installed. The case is "hot" as in electrical hot,not temp hot, Im sensing that the bridging is not appropriate? Im only running some lights off of the whole panel. And I already figured to start over.I do not have the ground bar connected to an earth ground. But isn't it grounded through the main panel? And forgive my ignorance, but what is OP? Thank you for your time-Ron
Old 12-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
Licensed Pro

Electrified sub panel

What are you using to indicate the case is hot?
Old 12-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #9

Electrified sub panel

Im only using a touch "hot" indicater. The one that you hold next to the wire and it beeps or not.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Electrified sub panel

It will always beep when something is powered up. It picks up the Electro-magnetic field created when electrons flow through a metal object. If you want to check truly for voltage, you need a good voltmeter.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Electrified sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsclark67 View Post
The ground bar and neutral bar are seperate with bonding screw installed. The case is "hot" as in electrical hot,not temp hot, Im sensing that the bridging is not appropriate? Im only running some lights off of the whole panel. And I already figured to start over.I do not have the ground bar connected to an earth ground. But isn't it grounded through the main panel? And forgive my ignorance, but what is OP? Thank you for your time-Ron
Remove the bonding screw from the neutral bar, and make sure it is isolated from the panel.
OP= other person/poster.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #12
I=E/R

Electrified sub panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsclark67 View Post
And I already figured to start over.I do not have the ground bar connected to an earth ground. But isn't it grounded through the main panel? And forgive my ignorance, but what is OP? Thank you for your time-Ron
OP is you... The Original Poster..
But isn't it grounded through the main panel? You said there were 3 wires with one being ground. So, is it physically connected to the ground bus in your main panel? If it is, then the case can't be hot because you would be tripping the circuit breaker that supplies this panel. Your Hot feed is connected to its own breaker in the main panel - correct?
The neutral is connected to the neutral bar in the main - correct?
In the main panel, is the neutral bar and ground bar the same bar or two bars that are connected?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #13

Electrified sub panel

all wires in main are correct, the ground is to the side(got it additionally), neutral is right above the positive, but connected to box
Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #14

Electrified sub panel

rsclark67:
You still need to answer:
"Your Hot feed is connected to its own breaker in the main panel - correct?
The neutral is connected to the neutral bar in the main - correct?
In the main panel, is the neutral bar and ground bar the same bar or two bars that are connected?"