Electrified Metal Door - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Electrified Metal Door

So imagine my surprise today....

Remodeling my master bathroom, I ran a new cold water supply line. When I hooked up the faucet, it didn't work. This is a double wide mobile home with water heater access on the outside. It had just started a light raining so I figured to run outside to check it out.

So I touched the door and got zapped. Not a bad zap, bout how it feels if you forgot to test an outlet before working on it. Just enough to get your attention.

I've done lots of work over in that area lately, and never got shocked before. So I figured the water helped me ground out. I was testing the idiot way. Flipping sets of breakers and testing if I still getting zapped. As I've got a ton of breakers between three panels, I narrowed it down to about 8 breakers (it's not the water heater circuit) before I got tired of getting zapped.

Since it has stopped raining,and will likely be mostly dry tomorrow morning, how do I test this out with a multimeter to see if the door is still hot?

Thanks,
Timothy

Advertisement

myowneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,462

Electrified Metal Door

So you got shocked by static electricity. It happens.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Electrified Metal Door

If you don't think it was static electricity, go and get a small multi-meter. You can get a cheapy (but still UL listed) for $15 bucks.
a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #4

Electrified Metal Door

I would find it hard to believe it's static electricity. With all breakers off, I get no shock. Thinking back, it might have been the better idea to flip the breakers on one by one rather than off in sets.

From experience, I know only the frame, door, and screws to hold it in place are metal. Everything else around it is wood and vinyl siding.

I figured the multimeter part, but where do I stick the neutral lead?

Thanks,
Timothy
Old 02-03-2012, 05:35 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,300

Electrified Metal Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by myowneq View Post
I would find it hard to believe it's static electricity. With all breakers off, I get no shock. Thinking back, it might have been the better idea to flip the breakers on one by one rather than off in sets.

From experience, I know only the frame, door, and screws to hold it in place are metal. Everything else around it is wood and vinyl siding.

I figured the multimeter part, but where do I stick the neutral lead?

Thanks,
Timothy
Stick one of your leads into the ground where you were standing. It may be that one of the screws holding the frame on has pierced a wire. If this metal door is purposely bonded to ground then you may have other issues.
zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,048

Electrified Metal Door

Measure voltage between the door frame and a variety of other places notably the screw holding the cover on a switch or receptacle, a water pipe, and the neutral prong hole (the larger of the two slots) of a receptacle, the metal frame or box for the electric meter, and a ground rod if there is one.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Electrified Metal Door

Assuming the max voltage you'll see during testing is 120v it will be more informative to simulate your skin/body resistance by putting a 15K, 1W or 2W resistor across the voltmeter leads.
Assuming you got a >5 mA shock you'll be seeing >75 v across this resistor. Radio Shack can supply this part.

Be careful.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Electrified Metal Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by myowneq View Post
As I've got a ton of breakers between three panels, I narrowed it down to about 8 breakers (it's not the water heater circuit) before I got tired of getting zapped.
Why three panels?
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #9

Electrified Metal Door

First panel was installed outside under the meter. I have no clue why they installed that one outside. It provides power to main house panel, addition sub panel, and camper (installed by me).

Advertisement