Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #1

Share |

Electricity --the fire starter

Last summer I noticed a new guy bushogging the property next to me. I know the guy and he is the type person that goes wide open at everything he does. I have bushoged the property for the previous owner so I knew a little about it.
I thought I better go out and warn him about a power pole guide wire on the property that was unmarked and virtually unseen with grown up vegitation.
Just as I got close to the property line, I was too late
He hit the wire just inside the right front wheel, the front of the tractor came up about a foot off the ground, the top of the Power pole moved toward the property--what looked like 3 foot.
A ball of fire--for lack of proper term--came down the guide wire and for some reason heated the netwire fencing to the point of starting about four fires along the 660' fence.
LUCKY he wasn't hurt--just had to change his underware before he could help me fight the fire.
My power was knocked out so the power company was notified and they immediately placed a yellow covering on the outside of the guide wire.

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #2

Bushogging ????? I'm don't know that term. What does it mean? Thanks.

jankencanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jankencanada View Post
Bushogging ????? I'm don't know that term. What does it mean? Thanks.
That is grass or brush cutting with a large, heavy duty, cutting deck mounted on the rear of a farm tractor. Bushog is actually a brand of cutter but most people just use the term "bushogging" in relation to cutting usually rough property that has some weeds and small tree growth.
That's the best description I have
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Giles For This Useful Post:
jankencanada (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 PM   #4

Yes that electricity stuff can scare the crap out of you sometimes. I remember seeing a private company that was replacing transformers for a town in my area. They were running into all kinds of trouble with the work that they were doing for most of the week. I was walking down the street and came around the corner just at the moment that there was a huge blinding flash right above the guy in the buckets head followed by a power outage that lasted most of the day in the area. The arc was only a few inches above his head and I'd be willing to bet that he needed a change of clothes and maybe a drink or two afterward.
teamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamo View Post
I was walking down the street and came around the corner just at the moment that there was a huge blinding flash right above the guy in the buckets head followed by a power outage that lasted most of the day in the area. The arc was only a few inches above his head and I'd be willing to bet that he needed a change of clothes and maybe a drink or two afterward.
And maybe a new face. Recent news article, a man severely burned when he was in a cherrypicker that got him too close to a power line had a "full face transplant" at Boston's Brigham & Women's Hospital.

Typical utility pole primary (distribution; uppermost on pole) line voltage is around 7500 volts hot to ground.

Ground (earth) is not that great a conductor so electricity may spread out over the ground surface favoring (generally wetter and not necessarily straight) paths of lesser resistance to objects such as ground rods at utility pole bases bonded to the ground wire up on the utility poles.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-23-2011 at 05:51 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #6
Wire Chewer

Surprised it did not have a yellow plastic pipe on it already. That's quite the hazard.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
...Typical utility pole primary (distribution; uppermost on pole) line voltage is around 7500 volts hot to ground.....
I believe that many utilities use 7200 or 14,400 Volts (to ground) for their local distribution lines. (12,500 or 25,000 between phases, respectively)

Some areas still have some 4160, but those are getting rare.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote