Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Electricity: Espresso Machine in Car

Hello to all,

I am trying to install a Espresso Machine (Nespresso) in the boot of the car. The machine uses 220240 V, 50/60 Hz, 1150-1260W. As I cannot use the cigarette lighter for this sort of load, I would like to install a separate car battery in the boot to run the Espresso Machine.

I was thinking of using a 12V battery with a start-up Power of 330 Amps, AH value of 35Ah with a bench charge of 3.5amp. That should be able to power up the machine, however, I will need an inverter from 12V to 240V.

I am happy to recharge the battery separately once in a while and do not expect the car to do that.

My question is, what sort of inverter should I use?

I thought of Whitenergy 06589 DC 12V-AC 230V 1500W Car power Inverter which has a socket installed.

Would that work???

Thank you for your help!

rupee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

Rupee---I'm going to move this to 'electrical' for you---

rupee54 (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
World's Tallest Midget

Rewards Points: 504

I can't see where you're from on the iPhone app, but since you call it a "boot" I'm guessing the UK. So you probably don't have a vehicle that would offer a stronger alternator that, coupled with an isolator, could keep the battery charged all the time.

In that case, I'd recommend getting a deep cycle RV/Marine battery. They are made to be drained and recharged. A normal car battery won't last long doing that.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 294

This has got to be a joke. With all the distracted drivers causing accidents now, are you seriously going to install an espresso machine in the car?
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taylorjm For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (07-06-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjm View Post
This has got to be a joke. With all the distracted drivers causing accidents now, are you seriously going to install an espresso machine in the car?
Yet the term "tailgating" is somehow no problem?

I hardly think the driver will be making coffee while driving. At the same time, he said he wants to put it in the boot. That is the UK term for the trunk.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,138

1200 watts at 12 volts is 100 amps DC. And that is not accounting for losses in the inverter. Never gonna happen.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #7

A 1500 watt inverter should be OK. It's a bit close in capacity but alone it should work.
I would definitely put it at the engine and run a lead cord to the appliance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
micromind (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,030

This will work, but you'll need a larger battery.

The 330 amps you have is the most the battery can put out at around 9 volts. Most inverters will drop out at 10.5 or so. Plus, even though it's rated at 35 amp-hours, it will not produce 330 amps for 6 minutes. More like 1 minute. It might not even produce 100 amps at more than 10.5 volts for more than a minute.

The amp-hour rating is based on a specific discharge rate, usually 10 or 20 amps.

As noted, a deep-discharge battery would be best; they're made differently that a starting battery. Something around 70 - 100 amp-hours. The reason being that the battery is rated when it's fully charged and 77F and it's new. Any deviation will result in less capacity.

Further, batteries last longest when they are discharged not more than about 1/2 of their capacity. Also, charge it back up as soon as possible. If left partially discharged, sulphur will build up on the plated and its capacity will be reduced.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,148

Quote:

He said "in the boot of the car".
How is that going to be a problem ?
He obviously cant get to the boot whilst he is driving ?
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 294

My mistake. Didn't know what a "boot" was in this case!
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupee54 View Post
Hello to all,

I am trying to install a Espresso Machine (Nespresso) in the boot of the car. The machine uses 220240 V, 50/60 Hz, 1150-1260W. As I cannot use the cigarette lighter for this sort of load, I would like to install a separate car battery in the boot to run the Espresso Machine.

I was thinking of using a 12V battery with a start-up Power of 330 Amps, AH value of 35Ah with a bench charge of 3.5amp. That should be able to power up the machine, however, I will need an inverter from 12V to 240V.

I am happy to recharge the battery separately once in a while and do not expect the car to do that.

My question is, what sort of inverter should I use?

I thought of Whitenergy 06589 DC 12V-AC 230V 1500W Car power Inverter which has a socket installed.

Would that work???

Do - able but not cheap.

1 - the size of the invertor depends on the start up surge of the machine,
most good invertors will quote a surge rating as well as continuous power.

2 - Use the best quality invertor you can afford (don't scimp here).

3 - You need some serious batteries, ordinary car batteries wont last too long on this application, you will need deep discharge batteries and normal car batteries are NOT good in this respect.

4 - you will need a minimum of 4 x good quality batteries and this will give you about an hour, more time = more batteries.

5 - You will need a seperate extra alternator on the car to keep these charged, as the normal alternator and battery will not keep up at all.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #12

Quote:
My mistake. Didn't know what a "boot" was in this case!
The trunk !

What do you call them over there ?
Old 07-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
The trunk !

What do you call them over there ?
I get all my lingo from Top Gear UK.
Trunk = boot
Roof = hood
Hood = bonnet
Old 07-05-2014, 05:44 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Dear all,

thank you very much for your replies.

Indeed I am in the UK and boot means trunk.

It is a Mercedes G Wagon which on occasion, is used to go shooting birds. Since the coffee or tea that is usually served in the woods is really awful, it would be great to be able to serve Espresso in-between drives.

I am happy to install a marine, dis-charge battery and the best inverter I can find. The battery is only supposed to last for a weekend on occasional use, say 30 cups of Espresso. It can then be recharged when the car goes back into the garage.

Although there is a portable Espresso Machine on the market that uses the cigarette lighter as a source of power, it takes 5 minutes per cup which is not acceptable in this case.

Could I ask you for the exact spec of battery and inverter that you would fit if it was your car/Espresso machine?

Best,

Rupert
rupee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:17 AM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,782

Deep cycle batteries won't help you a lot. Most good inverters will shut down when the battery voltage drops to 10 volts.

I suggest you do a test at your home. Get an inexpensive 1500 or 2000 watt inverter. Connect it to your car battery(have your battery charger close by) and then make a couple cups of expresso for yourself, spouse, and a friend or 2. See how many cups you can make before the battery gets to low and the inverter shuts down.

If it doesn't make more then a few cups. Your choices are to get an inverter suitable for RV use($$$) with deep cycle batteries, or to connect an aux charging system to your car so you can run the car and charge the aux battery for the inverter while on break between shoots.